1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Art of Groove part 1

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by Gab124, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Adam, what can you tell me about this class taught by Norm Stockton. I read the brief outline of it, but was curious about where it could take me. I have not taken a musicdojo class as of yet, fairly certain I might enroll in this one. What will I need to complete this class from a technical standpoint? How many nights a week will I need to be available for online lessons?
    My background is 20 years playing on the bar cover band standpoint. I have a fairly good idea of chord outlining, but in the end my performances show a predictable pattern. I would like to branch out and be able to be more "colorful" with my phrasing and transitions, but was unsure if this class is a good start, or waiting on the jazz improvisation courses to be available once again. Thanks for your insight and recommendations.
    gab

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    hi gab!

thanks for your interest. norm's art of groove series is one of the coolest on the site, in my opinion... it represents a comprehensive set of well-paced lessons incorporating elements of groove playing, musical styles, timekeeping, and harmony & theory. it gives you a set of tools that will help you to be a more musical and well-rounded player. as for what you would need, your computer is the only thing necessary. if you wish to upload your assignments for review and critique, you will just need a program that will allow you to record your bass and save your work in mp3 format. audacity is a free program that allows you to do just that, if you don't have a recording program already. i would think that taking the groove class and them combining it with the improv courses would be a great combination. hope that helps!

adam

3. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Thanks Adam! How does one get signal into an iMac? Do I need to run through a DI or effects out to say the mic input? Just never done that before.

4. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    probably would be best to use some sort of preamp and then take the output and run it to the input of your imac... that way you can control the gain and output.

5. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    A Zoom B2iu has a USB out to interface into the computer. They can be had for cheap used. The USB can be very handy.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021