The Art of the Trio

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Jim Dedrick, Apr 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    I was looking to add some new tunes to my piano drums bass trio and thought some of the stuff Chick did on Now He Sings, Now He Sobs would be a nice addition. While searching I found this link to a 4 hour video work shop Chick made for trios. It’s $99 so I thought perhaps a little pricey for a how to video especially if it does not hit the mark. Has anyone here given it a try?

The Art of the Trio - Chick Corea Music Workshops

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    MDrost1 likes this.
  2. I would just track down the two follow up album on ECM, lots to study there - it was a fantastic trio, a high point for all three of them and that is saying a lot!
    The two LP set has an LP of improvisations:

And an LP of Monk:

The second album is a single live LP, not as good but still interesting:

vilshofen and hhalt like this.
  3. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    Thanks- Ill dig into these as well... Great stuff on here.

4. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    While those are great records, it’s not anywhere the same thing as watching Chick talk about playing trio and then play trio. $100 for an hour lesson is pretty standard around here, so even though this video is not a private lesson you’re still getting a lot of his time for the money. Is it going to be worth it? That’s the gamble, but I’d bet it would be, it would have to be a pretty empty 4 hours not to be. Plus I was just looking at the website and it looks like you get another video along with the trio one

Selim likes this.
  5. I am sure it has some great information, we have to consider that there is a lot of water under bridge between "Now he Sings" and the "Grammy winning trios" they promise he will talk about.
    I will say he had a great double disc out a few years ago with Gomez and Motian. Still, I think only someone who is a fan of all his trio work will get the most out of this.
    For me as a listener, Chick is hit and miss. When he is great, he is really great, though.

Selim likes this.
  6. hhalt

hhalt Hans Halt Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Reno, Nv
    Thanks for this Damon. Miroslav is killing it with the bow!

damonsmith and Tom Lane like this.
  7. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

For about 1/4 of the cost, you can buy the complete piano transcription (the entire recording!) of "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs".
    The transcriber of this book, Bill Dobbins, was on the faculty (and still is) at the Eastman School of Music - the "joke" back then was that he "transcribes using Pen & Ink!". (Probably NOT an exaggeration, FYI.)
    Also - At a Master Class, Bill D. informed Clare Fischer that he had transcribed ALL of Clare's recorded compositions, to which Clare replied - "My god, man...when do you find time to make love to your wife?!"

Now He Sings, Now He Sobs: Piano Book: Chick Corea

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022