Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Arts, Newmarket Ontario

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Guys, I just want to share a little experience I had yesterday while shopping for a PA system for my band.

Before we visited any stores, we did extensive research on prices and quality of equipment. We settled on 2 Yorkville U15 (Unity series, 15") Mains and a Yorkville AP4040 amp (plus accessories).

First, I visited "The Arts" in Newmarket, Ontario. Great store, great staff. They always speak to you with respect. The prices they quoted me were good, but not as close as I wanted to the dirt-cheap prices of some of stores in the US, such as Cobra Sound.

Second, we went to Long & McQuade's in Toronto, Bloor st. Spoke to a sales guy named Jason, who really didn't know the difference between a PA and a state. I felt like I was talking to a used-car salesman, both in tactic and knowledge. His "BEST" price after intense negotiating was still worse then the prices I got from "the Arts" without trying. I showed him Cobra Sounds prices and he started into the "you're an idiot if you think I'm going to lower my prices any more" argument - you should never disrespect a customer as he did. When he finally stated that this was the best he would do we walked out of there. ( Just a little bit of history, this is the second time I've walked out of L&Ms - I left a huge software/hardware purchase on the desk when they refused to budge on price several years back. I then went to Steve's Music and bought the same thing for WAY cheaper).

So we went back to The Arts in New Market, showed them the Cobra Sound prices. Peter, the store manager was very gracious. He went and did some calculations and came back with a counter-offer (just as I was expecting) which was VERY competitive indeed.

We ended up purchasing from The Arts - and I can tell you with confidence that Long & McQuade's will always be a last-resort for me and my band - Which is too bad since Yorkville and L&M's are owned by the same people. I can't understand why Yorkville is such a great company while L&M appear to be disinterested in any kind of customer satisfaction. Maybe its because we only wanted to spend $5000, compared to a "high-end" customer who spends $100,000? I don't know.

I can also tell you, The Arts will always be a first choice for me and my Band - I've purchased every bass I've owned from them and much other gear. They have always been professional and very accomodating. They do not work on commission, so there's no high-stress sales tactics going on.

If you are looking for any kind of equipment, go see them. Its only 35 minutes north of Toronto in Newmarket on Eagle st. Tell them I sent you :) Or if you want to kill some time, go talk to Rik, he's quite the interesting guy for conversation. We ended up saving over $700 on our system, and over $100 compared to L&M's "Best Price".

- Andrew

ps. The Unity speakers were incredible sounding! Everything else sounded like listening to an AM radio when compared to them (except the NX series, which also sounded good, but not quite as detailed in the high-end as the Unity series, although the NX series had some great bass response).

2. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I've never heard of The Arts.

Where exactly is it located? I live just off the 404, so newmarket is a hop skip and a jump.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Dude, sorry you had a bad experience at one of our stores.

You asked to speak to a manager at the Arts...did you speak with the department manager or one of the other managers at Bloor St. L&M?

I agree, the Unity Systems are absolutely awesome.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've also found that L&M's pretty unreasonable on prices. I got my Yorkville XS400 for $729 at a relatively small local store (I've taken lessons from there and bought my fretless, several books, strings, etc. from there), ordered straight from Yorkville. The best price, with an educational discount, was still more than I got at my local store. That doesn't factor in me actually making the 2 hour trek to the closest L&M. I might've been able to negotiate it down another $20 or so, but that doesn't even cover busfare.

Although I gotta add, RevGroove is the best store employee I've ever dealt with. He wasn't the one that gave me the price with discount or anything (this was all between one of the teachers at my school and an employee at the store), but he was very helpful when I was asking *lots* of questions about the Yorkville combos and extension cabs.

EDIT: By the way, Rev, I do *LOVE* the new Yorkie amp. I'm picking up a 2x10 after I get enough money for jazz camp this summer and an upright.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey, thanks for the support. I noticed that you were looking into the DB thang on another thread. Glad you the like the amp, keep me posted.

:D