Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Ashdown C110-300/Thanks!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by AMJBASS, Mar 17, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    First of all, I would like to thank you for the Music! I really enjoyed listening to your samples on your web page. You have a unique sound and style that intrigues me!

My question is regarding the Ashdown amp....I am receiving offers to play several small jazz gigs in my area, and I don't particularly enjoy carrying my Aguilar rig to all of them! There is a music store close to me that has a C110-300, and I am interested. I have played it before, and it sounded good in the store. However, I found the lack of a tweeter disapointing. You have extensive experience with the amp....Do you miss the high end clarity, or do you find a tweeter uneccessary? I cannot take the amp on a gig with me before I buy it. They aren't too cheap either! Thanks a lot.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Really glad you like the music - thanks for the feedback (BTW, my forthcoming duo CD is now available for order from the website at a special pre-release price, if you're interested - I'll post more about this ASAP...)

about the C110 - I've not missed the tweeter, and I've done a huge range of gigs with this amp, from funk and disco to my solo stuff (which requires a huge tonal range from the speaker) - however, I think you could custom order a C110 with a tweeter - the best thing to do is email info@ashdownmusic.co.uk and find out if they've got one in the US already, and if you could get hold of it. But I honestly have never felt that the tone was in anyway lacking - the frequency of the highest EQ band seems to be just right for boosting 'sparkle' rather than making the sound too brittle...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hello Steve,
    I just though I would let you know, that I bought the Ashdown C110 300 today! I tried it out at the store, and I could not believe the sound! It has a ton of volume for it's size. And the range of tones are amazing! I underestimated it when I first saw it.

Thank you for your initial comments on it. And you were right. It doesn't need a tweeter. The 10" has a huge frequency range. I am very impressed, and glad to join the club!:D

4. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Steve, largely as a result of your advocacy I've been trying to price an Ashdown 1 x 10" with the possibility of adding a 2 x 10" cab for bigger gigs. To that end I spoke to the pa hire company I normally use in the hope they might know someone who might buy my Hartke set-up. The guy I spoke to - a personal friend and not a bull****ter - said he liked the Ashdown sound but had had bad reports from a reliability point of view. The evidence is anecdotal but he has contacts in the gear hire business who have been critical of Ashdown's reliability performance. The Hartke has given me no problems in several year's ownership and I'd feel an idiot if I swapped it for set up that wasn't reliable.

Any comments? Do Ashdown have any statistical information supporting the reliability of their stuff?
    (Sorry if this sounds like I'm viewing you as some sort of Ashdown rep - I just thought you might have some useful information on this).

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Well, a load more anecdotal stuff coming your way... :oops:)

I only know one person who has had any serious problem with their ABM amp - a guy on TBL who bought one that was faulty, got all annoyed and asked for his money back.

I know two people who have had problems with switches breaking on the MAG amps...

My own combo has been dropped from a great height, exposed to extreme hot and cold, covered in dust - basically treated like crap. I've had the power stage replaced (due to what seemed to me like an intermittent fault, but which was completely undetectable in a few straight days of testing, so perhaps it wasn't the amp after all...) and the one I got put in it fried, but it was (I think) a prototype (I am a bit of an Ashdown lab rat), and was part of a dodgy batch from somewhere (all of which were got rid of, mine was the only one that made it into an amp)

I've seen the Ashdown testing process, which involves metering, some serious shake testing to check for faults, and also (like nearly all 'high end' amps) taking the precautionary measure of using high quality parts. I know a LOT of people who are using Ashdown (they are really popular in the UK right now), and the reliability seems on the high side, rather than the other way round. Hartke are generally very reliable amps, and from the players I know, the percentages of problems are about the same.

As a pro-player with no back-up amp, I couldn't afford to play an amp that I couldn't rely on - it's more than my job's worth to do that... if I was on some cushy endorsement contract that included huge amounts of free equipment and a full time roady to carry around spares, then maybe I could put my name to a piece of crap that cut out all the time, but as I'm not paid by Ashdown (except for actual clinics), and haven't had any free gear (only a tiny handful of people have had any free stuff - even Adam Clayton paid full retail prices and shipping for his amp!!!!!) I need to have an amp that is going to work, and this one has never let me down...

That's my story, so through that into the mix, ask in the amp forum, ask around and see what else comes back.

good luck in your search for your perfect amp...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Thanks for the detailed reply Steve. I'm still minded to go ahead (I've just placed an ad in the local paper for my Hartke) but will check around for other opinions.