Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Ashdown Experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Apr 26, 2003.

1. I am in the process of finalizing a deal for an Ashdown Mag400 head + 410 combo amp. What experience have any of you had with this amp, or with the Mag line? Any input would be great. Thank you.

2. Incase you are confused, it is this amp right here.

[​IMG]

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh woops...I thought this was going to be a thread about a Jimi Hendrix tribute band sponsored by Ashdown.

brad cook

4. LOL, I wanted to give it a different title, rather than the usual "need advice" post.

5. my experience has been that the MAG-400 kicks serious ass. it is lightweight, tough, good looking and great sounding. the octaver rocks, and if you have an active bass(or a high-output passive), the VU meter is really useful for checking on preamp clip.

6. Bump.

7. I have a question for you Ashdown users out there. How do you guys utilize the input volume and output volume? High input and adjust the output as needed, or the opposite? Also, I have active p'ups, I am assuming that I should use the high input.

8. Anyone?

9. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I have the ABM 500 head and I love it. go ashdown baby. i have an active bass and use the low input, but maybe i'm wrong. As for the input and output controls, you want to set your on-bass controls to where you will have them for the playing session. THen, set the input at 0 and output at 0. Pluck a note that will have high output which would be somewhere on the E string and watch the input meter. If it does not move which will probably be the case with input at 0 , turn up the input knob a little then pluck another E string note, check the input again. When your fattest notes bring the meter needle almost to the red area, you have the ideal input setting. The reason for playing a 'fat' note while doing this is because it will make the input vol. move more than a higher pitched note, if you have your input set high then hit some low notes you might overload the system. Once your input is set where the needle does not enter the red area, you can raise the output volume to however loud you need it. I hope that made some sense I can clarify anything i didn't explain very well. Good luck in your ashdown experience

10. Thanks a ton for the info. I think I got it. So basically keep the input at a minimum and raise the output. I am so excited to get my amp, I just won this amp: Ashdown Auction

[​IMG]

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I Have a ABM-500 head. great sounding, big ol 70's
    sound. a cross between a Ampeg and Trace Elliot.
    Great Heads
    So-So- Cabs.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    No that's not what he said. You want to set the input level so that on the hardest notes you hit the VU meter barely doesn't go into the red. Use the output to adjust volume from there.

13. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I let my needle jump into the red sometimes,by mistake usually.

14. That is what I meant, I just kinda phrased it wrong, but thank you. I cannot wait to get my amp. How long do you think it will take (assuming he ships it tomorrow by ups ground) to reach me in SoCal from Louisiana?

15. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    good point fender. I'm not sure whether the MAG series have tube preamps, but with the ABMs, real dirty tube distortion can be acquired if you turn up the input vol so that the needle goes into the red and select the tube preamp.

16. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Nice wheels...

[​IMG]

DC :)

17. 3 days and counting...

18. It should arrive tomorrow! I will post pics ASAP! Thank you to everyone who has given input, feedback, offers, and suggerstions over the past couple of months concerning my questions about a new amp. My parents finally helped me get one based on your help. Thank you.

~Nutt

19. As promised, here is the picture of my new rig, minus my old amp since my friend is borrowing it right now. This amp just sounds amazing. It is what heaven sounds like, if it were to come through speakers. I am so blown away by this amp. Thank you guys once again. BTW, does anyone know the price of these amps new?

[​IMG]

20. Speaking of thread killing... :bawl: