1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Ashdown has died and should be replaced with EBS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    I have a Ashdown Five fifteen 100w amp which i have had for about a year now. I have never really been into amps like i have been into basses and pedals so i just "bought an amp". Anyway, lately i have been listening to my gear and tone and compared it with other amps. I get the feeling that my amp don't wanna play anymore. The EQ section feels somewhat dead, i don't know how to explain this so everyone can understand but it feels that it doesn't do anything. It just sounds flat, dull and dead to me. I have tried it with different basses, changed strings, different pickups etc but it feels that it is the amp that is the problem.

When i do a search on the forum the amp in question don't get bad reviews so i feel kind of torn. What should i do? Sell it? I'm thinking about chaning it to a a new EBS Drome 150w "Classic", wise move?

2. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    The Drome is awesome , but are you sure you want a Combo Amp ?

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    Why not?

4. Out of sheer curiosity, are all EBS products made in Sweden, or are some of them made in China like some of Ashdown's product?

5. The Classic Line cabs (and probably the new Classic Line Drome combo) are made in China, as are the effects (or so I believe).

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    3 swedes in the same thread :hyper:

I have scheduled a memorial service for the ashdown next week if nothing happens.

7. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Amps tend to be an afterthought to alot of people. It took me years to realize that the amp is just as important, if not more so, than the bass you choose. Yeah, it's not as exciting to get a new amp, and they don't make them with splated cabs (hmmm....me thinking...splated cabs....) but they are a huge part of your personal sound. Now that I've found my perfect bass, I'm on a search for the perfect amp. I'm really happy with the Epifani gear, but I haven't tried out nearly as many amps as I have basses. Good luck with the search. If you are doing medium to large sized rooms, you should also consider going the head/cab approach. There are benifits to combo amps, but if you plan on playing big rooms, you will need some power to push alot of air. If you do coffee shops and such, a combo should be fine. But...plan for the future. It's alot of money to upgrade your rig, so you want to make sure that what you get now will fulfill your needs for many years.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Make sure you give GK a good try. I don't care for the Backline budget series. But their regular pro gear is very good. Still made in the USA. I much prefer it to the Ashown. The GK EQ controls are anything but lifeless.

9. What he said...

10. I think you should go Ashdown MAG or ABM... the five fifteen is nothing to judge ashdown by

11. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    I do have the cash for a cab and head...how about the Ashdown MAG 300H and a Kustom Groove bass 215 cab? Have to do a search on those here.

12. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

+1

the amp is as important if not more so than the bass you play.

i on occasion get stuck playing a Hartke 15" kickback combo that is a bit knackered at college if im not lucky and it makes me sound like s**t even with my Fodera, but through anything that is half working i can get by, but it doesnt sound great.

and of course you will always sound amd play best through the rig that you own and know best.

Dave

13. i had this amp except it lasted SEVEN WEEKS!! (February-April 2006)
    and before a gig no less..

It is being sent back to Thomann.de where i bought it (NO ONE IN IRELAND IS WILLING TO FIX THIS AMP!!!!!!!!!) to be fixed but i will definitely seek alternative amplification when they give me the inevitable option.