The Ashdown Needle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Feb 16, 2005.

1. The needle on my Ashdown is behaving oddly. When I play with my thumb, crank the mids(basmid, mid, and treble mid) it goes way into the red, but it doesn't distort or clip. However, when i do this with my Spector euro LX, it goes into the red a touch and it burps and farts and clips. Why is it doing this? Also, if the output volume is low, it sometimes goes into the red, but as I turn the output volume up, it doesn't go into the red as much. :confused: And what's the best way to set my EQ to bring out the spector growl?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Flat ;)

3. The input gain VU meter needle will vary depending upon input setting (obvious ) eq settings, and master volume settings.

With mine i have it set so at gigging volume it only just goes into the red.

Also drop tuning and five string basses will have a different result on the input needle compared to standard tuning and 4 string basses. When i drop d tune i have to take a slight bit of bass out from the bass guitar so as not to push it too hard.
  4. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    You should sell the Ashdown and buy a'll never have any problems and it will cook you dinner too. :ninja:
  5. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What do you mean by crank do you mean all the way up in which case no wonder its jumping into the red, set it all flat and then slowly adjust each control till you get the sound you want without it going into the red, the controls work off each other kinda the more of one you might find you need the other less.

Experiment but never turn knobs on amps all the way up this is a sure fire way to blow stuff up.

6. ibanezman200

Jan 3, 2005
    well i always use ashdown jus keep ur input level dwn n it wil be fine jus crank up the output
  7. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    As far as I remember, it depends on what series of amp you have. The MAG series just shows you the input/eq levels on the VU meter. The ABM series uses the input/eq and the output levels to give a reading on the meter. Basically, dont let it go into the red on either, but depending what model you use, different settings will have different effects.

Thats what I remember anyway, but I might be making it up! :)