Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Asylum Street Spankers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pigpen02, Jun 27, 2005.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    www.asylumstreetspankers.com

Anyone ever seen this group? I caught them at Bourbon Street in New Port Richey, Fl. this Saturday night, and was blown away. Completely. I think they were the best band i've ever seen in that size of venue, and easily in the top 5 of all bands i've ever seen live.

I'd never even heard of them, this chick bought tix and offered me a freebie, and its been one of the most memorable shows ever.

For those not in the know, they're a 7 piece all-acoustic group out of Austin, Tx, who play somewhere between country/jump blues/bluegrass/rock/rockabilly etc. (americana?). While it appears they're all multi-instrumentalists ('cept the drummer and bass player, they stuck to their respective instruments all night) it was mostly a banjo player, guitar/dobro-ist, violinist, fellow w/ a washboard and harmonica, and the female singer, who switched from guitar to banjo to mandolin to ukelele to bowing an old saw. And, she had the most amazingly beautiful voice i think i've ever heard live. They could all sing, but dang! she had pipes.

Anyways, enough gushing. Check them out if they roll through a town near you. You won't regret it.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    They are on Bob and Tom quite a bit. I find them rather annoying..at least the songs they do on that show.

3. I have only heard them on Bob & Tom. Thought they were pretty funny though. :)

4. Yeah - they're an amazing band to see live. Their lineup has changed in the past year or so, and the new lineup might not be quite as good as the old one, but they're still really great. One of the best live shows I've seen, too - and i've seen them more than once. Great stuff.