Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Ataris?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Melf, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Has anybody got the Ataris' album? I heard their song "Boys of Summer" on the radio and I thought it was fantastic, but usually albums that have got songs on the radio are lacking. I don't want to buy it without listening to some of the other tracks and all their tracks are messed up on Kazaa.

2. Kruser

Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Germany
    Go for the Album!
    I saw them live some weeks ago, they make really rocking music. Sadly the bass player isnt of my favour. But the overall music: Rocking!
    BTW, i dont own the album.........bought too many other this month :)

3. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I bought the album based on their version of "boys of summer"
    To me, all the songs have the same sound and vibe of "Boys". Which I like the sound and feel, but it was a bit repetive for a whole album.

4. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I like it alot. They're a great live band too. Honestly though i like their older album better. My favorite song from them is "Teenage Riot" Another great song off of "..Astoria" is "Unopend Letter" wonderful song.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Like `em.....good sound and image. I just don't see them lasting later than October.

Nothing new is going on with them, IMO.

In the "olden days", the record label would invest in them and give them time to develop. Nowadays, with corporate rock, they won't get that chance.

6. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    That band is an insult to the gaming console.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have no idea why, but they really bother me. I like Don Henley's version of "boys..." better anyway. :meh:

8. Get the CD, but if you don't own any Ataris CD's, I suggest trying out either "End Is Forever" or "Blue Skies..." first, because the new album is a "grower"...it takes at least 3-4 listens to get into.

It is a good album, it's just not as good as any of their previous stuff, a lot slower and better producing etc. Thier older stuff is faster more like straight forward punk. I do like the Ataris, Kris Roe does actually write decent lyrics if you look at them close up. And they are very very good live!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Haha, true.

Just so all of you know, as Mr. Blisshead pointed out, "Boys of Summer" is a Don Henley song covered by said band. Sorry, I just hate it when bands get popular doing covers... what's the point? :meh:

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Ataris (fans) have left a foul first impression on me. At the Agora in Clevland, there is a main stage, and a little stage for the band that isn't the main attraction. GWAR was playing the main stage, and the Ataris were playing the crap stage. The Ataris set was half as long as Gwar's, so the Ataris fans decided to check out Gwar and were of course, horrified. I'm sure they'd never heard of Gwar, or what they do. So they came in with their shiney belts and were insulting Gwar left and right, a friend of mine who happens to be huge and a gwar fan almost destroyed them. So whenever I think of the Ataris, I think that they are an insult to the gaming console. ;)

11. Er...well they had a single ("In This Diary") out of the current album before this song was released...and they've been popular for years. It's not like they formed 5 minutes ago and did a cover of Boys For Summer and suddenly it started raining money.

12. Whatchoo' talkin about? The Ataris have been around in the punk scene for years. But they probably will go the way of the buffalo, or just slowly fade into obscurity. Most bands who get big on a cover dont exactly last too long.

I like their Don Henley cover, but other than that I think they suck. I've felt this way for about 3 or so years.

13. rickbass

Yeah, they've been around since at least 1998. Being such "grizzled old veterans" such as this practically qualifies them for "classic rock radio" these days, doesn't it ? :D

There was a time in the recording industry when they wouldn't have been left to rot in touring- hell.

14. er, well, what I meant to say was that they aren't just some cookie-cutter rock band and that they've slowly been building their fanbase for 5-7 years.

I'm not a fan of them, but the more popularity they achieve is fine by me...more power to them.

15. rickbass

jr - All I'm saying is they really deserve resources applied to their artistic development........but recording companies don't do that any longer unless you are willing to totally prostitute yourself quite often.

16. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Their first CD is decent, Anywhere But Here. Everything else is trash IMO. Plus the guys are douchebags; the singer in my old band roadied for them and told me stories about their coke habits in hotel rooms and such. I'll give it to them, they did an accurate pop-punk rendition of Boys Of Summer, but if I was Don Henley I would dream of their bus tipping over.

17. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Same here. I can't really put my finger to it but each time I see them on T.V I'd get very irritated by them and their music..