The Atheist Bass Player Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pc, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. I have to say that If I had to choose a Church or a gymnasium for sound it would be a Church...

I don't think it should piss you off...I look at what they play and it looks like a bass and Amp and the music is just Soul or R&B that has Jesus and stuff thrown in...

2. regardless of my opinion that this club is silly, i dont see why anyone thinks it SHOULD be shut down. its not promoting any sort of negativity.

unless the mods are overly religious and feel the need to oppress those who dont agree with them, which i dont believe is the case. they are tight asses around here, but not THAT tight.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I'm in.

4. bjlevine

bjlevine

Dec 4, 2008
    Yeah, but are you really an "atheist", or just a member of the much more popular "idontwanttodealwithist"?

5. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    "Idon'twanttodealwith" what?

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I was wondering the same thing?

7. Hi guys!!!
    Don't want a membership, but just want to show support to keep this "club" from being shut down.
    If the mods do shut it down, that would be flat out wrong IMO.
    We have our "club"- and why you should call it stupid or it pisses you off is really odd, sure there is religious content spoken in there, but a lot of what is said relates to how we as bassists function in just another genre of music.
    Might as well get pissed off and the Gospel bassist club too then....

Anyway, like I said, just showing support so this keeps going.
    Ya never know, maybe there could be a "merge" of sorts so there could be some civil dialog between two different schools of thought.

And no, I could care less if I'm with a bunch of like-minded people to feel safe. I feel safe all by myself as much I would in church.
    I don't subscribe to the thought that I need a "hive" to practice how I feel. Like a lot of Christians do.

Peace.....

8. Not interested in joining, as I don't usually openly admit my atheism, for fear of oppression. I am, however, interested in how this will turn out.

9. This is why I'm afraid it will be shut down. Certain folks will start trolling/flaming, arguments will start, name calling etc. :meh:

10. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Nice! Choose a number!

You are welcome to our club, but please notice that this club is not about religious bashing. I'm not here to talk about religion or religious guys. As I said on the first post, my intention is to see how many atheists we are here at TB.

In fact , I almost did a church gig a while ago. unfortuntely, one of the g%$ar guys took the bass position. :bawl:

Welcome!

Well, I did a search on the clubs, and there is a lot of "(put something here) bassist club" here at Bassists. On off topic I saw "yugo club" and "hot dog eating competitor club".

I sincerely hope not. I'm trying to make this club as rational and adult as possible.

Exactly.

Thanks for your wise words

11. I dont know if anyone before me was seriously intending to join the club..so seeing as you're #1, I suppose #2 would be logical :D

It'll certainly be interesting to see how many of us there are on here.:hyper:

12. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    I'd join the club, I'm just a bit scared of the inquisition.

13. OK, number 3 for me then?

14. In fact , I almost did a church gig a while ago. unfortuntely, one of the g%$ar guys took the bass position. :bawl:

OK, am I the only one who found this funny?

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you guys -do- realize that the "praise and worship bassists club" is catering to folks who play church gigs, right? i know of a few folks who partake in that "club" who are not religious at all, but who have paying gigs with church bands. there's a difference between church/gospel gigs and non-religious gigs that becomes abundantly apparent when the gig happens.

and why do i quote "club"? because there's nothing official about any of these clubs at talkbass. nothing relevant beyond folks with similar interests posting together in a thread. nothing wrong with them, either, but let's not make mountains out of small molehills.

so yeah, have a club of folks that is in direct response, and a direct negative critique of, something that actually serves a viable purpose among some working talkbassers. that's a good way to show your talkbass spirit. :eyebrow:

16. Is playing in a Church considered working?

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    For someone who is a professional musician and makes their living by getting paid for their playing, it is most definately working.

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Sigh... +1

Maybe I should start a Diabetic Doom Playing Taoist club or something ;)

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    last i heard whenever you are paid for your playing, you are "working". then again, the rules might be different up in canuckistan :) ;)

20. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    LOL. Canuckistan! Good one :D Totally in my location :D :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.