The Atheist Bass Player Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pc, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spanish-inquisition.jpg

2. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Guest

Aug 7, 2005
    god. that's a tricky one. i have a lot i could say about the subject, but it's late and i'm tired and i just wanted to poke my head in on this thread. no reason to lock it, though.

3. I didn't know you got paid to play for a Church...learn something new all the time. I have a neighbor a few houses down from me that plays bass in a Church, he plays through a PA and doesn't know much about bass at all...I tried to chat about it with him and its rather sad...I would love to check out a real down south Gospel church band...Good music is good music...I'm just not into religion.

4. It's straight up tough being an atheist. There is a lot of inclusion that happens because of religion that atheist don't get to partake in. I would like to think that is the purpose of this club, not to take away anything from what you all are doing, but to enrich our experiences. Being an atheist does have an influence and an impact on my life as a musician, so why not a club?

5. +1. Also, read the 'Christian praise and worship club' threads for a minute and then tell me with a straight face that it's not about religion.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It depends. Some people get paid, some don't. Some churches pay, some don't. It depends on how the music ministry is being run. Some of them are "homegrown", and the band consists of whomever in the congregation is musically able. This can sometimes lead to interesting mixes of skill/ability within the same group. Other types are more "professional", for lack of a better word, and may go out to recruit working musicians or people that are at the caliber they want for their worship team. These are the bands that usually pay. The bigger the church, the more likely you are to see the latter as opposed to the former.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's just like anything else, some churches pay their bands (usually the bigger ones) and some don't. most of the ones that do that i know of, and have big bands supporting their services, don't require the band members to be a part of their church, or their religion/denomination, for that matter.

8. Oh I got a question...

Okay if they have Gospel music what do atheist consider their music? Now don't say anything Satanic because I'm not into that and if you believe in Satan than you believe in God so thats moot to me.

9. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Just to clarify: you are saying that because you are an atheist, you can't play church gigs, and this is hard on you?

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i know of quite a few non-religious individuals who enjoy gospel music as much as anyone else. shoot, neil peart quoted a "negro spiritual" in a rush song and he's been pretty open with his atheist viewpoints his whole career.

11. AbbeyRolled

AbbeyRolled

Apr 21, 2006
    Again, we don't need to claim a type of music as "ours". All music is for everyone. And why would you immediatly go the satanic route? Atheists are not defined by their beliefs, and therefor do need to carve out a genre to fill their need for music that fits their belief system.

Oh yeah, and count me in.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't care what kind of club anyone makes, and i'm not a part of any of the clubs here at talkbass, leastways the church-bass one (i don't do religious gigs).

i'm just saying - you folks want to stand out as being anti-religion, and make your voice heard on the topic to the limits of what talkbass will allow, you're welcome to it, but it's certainly not going to encourage any goodwill from folks who feel you are targeting this at them and what they do.

13. I was only having some fun...:meh: I don't belong to any groups, I'm a rebel.

14. Right Here

I'll take the Bass Gig at a chruch if it pays Dosent Mean you have be into the religion
    Money is Money it pays the bills

15. Who says atheists are anti-religion?

16. That's not what this is about, John. We are not 'against' anyone. But we are 'for' us.

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Still no answer whether Secular Humanists can join. If so, I am in. And I know many "Christians" who listen to Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. And I am fond of lots of spiritual music. It's all about being open minded and not taking yourself too seriously.

And I will admit, I am moved by the passion of certian bible passages. The folks who wrote that stuff were truly inspired. Even if I don't believe any of it.

18. No, that's not really the central point of my statement.

19. :D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.