The Atheist Bass Player Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pc, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Actually Satanists don't believe in God. It's all about being your own God and stuff like that.

2. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Count me in!

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I am honestly trying to understand what you mean. What are you "not included in?"

4. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    As with all the diverse sub-forums available there are relevant aspects that are important to those of us in the worship music arena. If it "pisses you off" here is a tip: don't click on it.:rollno:

5. KPAX

KPAX Inactive

Mar 22, 2005
    Now what?

6. +1. Let's please not bash folks we don't see eye-to-eye with.

7. I'm as close to an Atheist as you can get...I just had an egg sandwich and I'm thinking about playing my bass.

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I was thinking the same thing. I guess we won't be breaking up into prayer groups. :help:

9. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I not only read them, but I'm a club member too! ;)

if you've really read them, then you know they are about things like:

gear choices

sound issues

band relationships

technique

song choices

and yes, "religion" or hopefully and more accurately, relationship.

JKT :)

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i hear that from many of the folks in this thread, but i also see some folks in this thread using it as a forum to denigrate what others believe.

just saying how it may be perceived by some folks (again, not me. ) .

11. rezin

rezin

Sep 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    i'll join

12. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Count me into the club!

13. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    This thread has trouble written all over it.

How about we keep the (non)religion off of TB?

14. That's ridiculous. I define myself by what gives me meaning. That comes first. Those beliefs happen to not include an external deity.

15. With all due respect Toshiro, being an Atheist is not evil and we arent out to talk down on the religious, what could go wrong with this thread if people just keep their hate to themselves?

Peace ;)

16. If Agnostic is close enough, you can count me.

17. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Since Christians believe that God created music, and music is integral in the worship of God, and since so many churches have killer musicians, and since the church was the haven for musical exploration and talent for centuries, and since most jazz, soul and R&B music forms were born out of the church scene, and since there are a whole lot of other reasons I'm not naming right now....it makes total sense to have a Christian, P&W Bass players club. It is about playing bass within that religious context, for all the reasons I just mentioned and more.

I'm not against this club, but I don't really think bass playing and atheism has that kind of connection in any way. So I agree with John. This just seems like another way for Atheists and their sympathizers to form an "opposite" and be polar just for the sake of showing that they are opposed, and that's not really the spirit of this board, which is unity. Of course we'll all have our differences, religion being at the front more than likely, even over politics. But bass playing is supposed to be where we all share a common interest. My opinion is that we should allow for people who have direct interests that influence or relate to playing bass to discuss those things here, without having to create an "opposite" that brings attention to something other than bass playing itself.

18. Count me in, although I describe myself as "religion-free" because the term atheist is so loaded nowadays, as if it's a belief system or some type of activist philosophy. Hell, there are even some dictionaries which define it as something like "the denial of the existence of the Almighty"

As long as the conversations of the thread avoid religious discussion (which is a no-no in the TB rules), I think it has a right to exist. Although there isn't really much to talk about, since topics here would be covered in other TB threads in the various subforum categories.

19. I disagree with most things you said there, and could argue against most points you bring up, but this is not the place to argue so I shall'nt. As I for one would not like this thread shut down.

20. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    How can you say it's not looking good? Names like Mozart, Beethoven, and Paganini are on that list.

True. Atheist literally means "no god", not "against god". But, like any other non-mainstream group, it's inevitable that the only ones that get noticed are the extremeists. Unfortunately, that's what flavors the public opinion of your kind.

Even though my beliefs are the exact opposite of the members of this club (I'm pagan (polytheist)), I like the idea.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.