The Atheist Bass Player Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pc, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Add me to the list...

And believe it or not, I'm thinking hard about joining a praise band... :hyper:

Actually serious about that... I just like the urban gospel stuff from a bassist perspective. Not into the religious part....

Not sure whether I'm looking forward to finding a snake handling, healing, speaking in tongues congregation... or afraid of it.

Ought to be some pretty funny stories come out of it, anyways... And a good chance to expand my musical horizons.

Got a contact in the gospel circuit, a drummer I fillled in with on a blues gig, he's feeding me cd's to learn, and making some phone calls to find someone needing a bassist...

Randy

2. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Guest

Aug 7, 2005
    i claim number i

3. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I want a number... I drink the $1.79 stuff from Wal Mart.....

4. DevilTheory

DevilTheory

Jan 6, 2009
    Illinois
    Your "Clapton does not exist!" sig is the greatest thing ever.

5. Anyone like Samuel Adams? I love their beer, especially the seasonal Winter Brew....Black Lager aint too shabby either. Boston breweries makes a good ale as well.

6. gruven

gruven

Oct 10, 2008
    Trumann, Arkansas
    I do so love the Sam Adams Cream Stout. Sam Adams in great beer, but I love the Cream Stout.

7. +1. This is exactly what I was hoping for.
    By the way, we have a local winery here in Brookfield that does a really good ice wine every year. DiGrazia vineyards, be sure and visit when you're here. Free guided tours in summer, with tastings. Very nice. Plus you can buy a bottle of wine there on Sunday, excellent.
    http://www.digrazia.com/index.html

8. NOTICE: The following is NOT meant to foster political discussion. That is a no-no.
    It was nice of Barack to mention us in his speech today. Quote: "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and non-believers."
    I sat up when I heard that. I guess we really are people after all.

9. J.D.

J.D.

Jan 13, 2009
    Glen Mills, PA
    Yeah, but he added that last bit on with a tone of voice that just... Doesn't sit well with me. :(

10. Yeah, but I'd like to think that's because he tacked it on. Like it wasn't part of the written speech but he realized maybe he ought to say it once he got there. Wishful thinking maybe, but at least he said it. First time ever, I think.

11. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Count me in, although not atheist, more of an agnostic if that counts:D

12. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I was just talking to the GF about how Barack's "non-believers" line was one of the few times I've ever felt like a mainstream politician was including ME in his rhetoric. Cool and weird all at once.

13. Count me in, though more of a secular humanist/agnostic.

14. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    Count me too in the humanist/agnostic side.

15. HugoM

HugoM

Jul 3, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Count me as a non-believer.

16. JazzyLambert

JazzyLambert

Dec 8, 2008
    Australia
    sign me up, secular humanists is close enough...." a rose by any other name smells as sweet"

17. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Yes, it counts.... non-believer = atheist.

18. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    In my case the $1.79 stuff is an energy drink !!:hyper:

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, to me it sounded like emphasis, like he was making an admonition to "recognize and accept -these- people too, folks". in the past the conversation had always only been between those counted "among the failthful", and he was reminding folks that those who do not believe are just as integral a part of the equation as anyone else.

i could've been interpreting it wrong, though. -shrug-.

20. amandolin

amandolin

Mar 16, 2008
    Lancaster, PA
    I honestly missed that -- I tuned him out once he started talking about all the religions that make up this country. Very cool!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.