The Atheist Bass Player Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pc, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I don't want this thread shut down either! I'm really interested to here the discussions on how Atheism influences one's pursuit of playing bass guitar. As unintentionally sarcastic as that probably sounds, I really would like to here it discussed since I don't see how it would. But I'm often wrong. and I usually am thankful after figuring out why.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and, interestingly enough, were such a thing around when the above three were alive, they would belong to the "church and woship (musician)" club too.

which was my original point.

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Why are we debating the purpose and meaning of atheism? If you are an atheist bassist, join up! If not, go about your biz and peace be to you! Finally, if this thread gets deleted due to its intent for an atheist bassist community, I would certainly hope the mods would delete any other religious threads as well, including the CP&W clubs. I would understand if this thread were deleted due to the arguing; if you don't want it closed, stop the bantering!

4. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Count me in!

5. +1 to that!:hyper:

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    And it was a darn good one. Music in the church, even for atheists and agnostics who particpate in it, has a purpose that affects how the music is written, played, arranged, etc within the church service. The religious aspects of the belief system affect the music, and so even non-believers adjust to that idiom. I don't see how non-atheism has that kind of connection. I just want to hear about it if someone knows, because it would really interest me. Otherwise, if this thread is really just about having an "opposite" club based more on religion than music, then I'll be happy to know you guys aren't discussing anything I'm interested in, and I'll move on. No big deal.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and keep the insulting implications out of the conversation - equating religious belief to believing in the tooth fairy is not going to give this thread any more longevity than equating atheism to any kind of ignorance or "evil".

so keep it out. this is the only warning i will give on the topic.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Sign me up. :)

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree that this would be a bad thing- starting a club in a bass forum that doesn't deal with any specific bass-related issues.

BUT.....I've read through quite a lot of the Praise and Worship threads, and there is a large amount of praise and worship going on in there that is not related to church/gospel gigs at all. There's quite a lot of straight-out "praise god!" posts and even a little proselytizing. If the topic was kept strictly to praise and worship gigging then it'd be one thing, but that's not the case. So if these threads are allowed to exist, then the opposite should as well.

I'd honestly prefer if neither were allowed, but the members of the P&W club really seem to enjoy it, and it hasn't shown to be really divicive amongst the TB community, so it should probably stay. As such, this club should as well. If every third post in the P&W thread proclaims "Bless God!" and it's allowed and no one is offeneded, I can't see how anyone would get offended at a thread where every third post proclaims "I don't believe in any god"

10. gm jack

gm jack

Oct 5, 2008
    Reading UK
    How many other people thought this would be about the band?

11. solomon707

solomon707

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Rosa, CA
    When I saw the name of this thread I thought Tony Choy was creating a club for himself...

12. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    John,

It's good to see Talkbass is not against this friendly initiative. But I'd like to clarify that I didn't create this "club" as anti-religion or such. I stated clearly to barbarbass that this has nothing to do with religion bashing or anything like it. i just wanted to know how many of us post here in TB.

Unfortunately atheism is a delicate subject and I think anyone who wants to post here should have in mind the purpose of the "club"

Regarding playing in churches, as I said before, I almost played for a church GIG, for free, for the music itself.

Marty, trying not to be rude, but I don't think this is the right place to argue about our point of view. If you are really interested on atheism, do a google search and you'll find lots of information on the issue.

And answering your question I classify the music listen to as good music or bad music, being gospel, secular, indian, polka, soul, rock, country. If the music pleases me, so I use to call it good music.

And if you are really curious about it, send me a PM with your questions, and I'll answer with pleasure. Otherwise it will look like you are trying to troll the thread.

Yes. you are greatly welcome. And I can't agree with you more. I love spirituals.

Again, there are a lot of misconceptions about atheists. Being an atheist doesn't make myself automatically a god-hater. I simply don't believe.

Welcome! pick a number!

13. We'll, we made it to five pages. I am thinking it is now done. Thanks, MCML.

14. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    I don't see it that way at all- I see it as a chance for non-believers to unify with each other, and not in opposition to anyone else. Imagine you were a Christian living in a Muslim country and everyone around you was a Muslim. Then, imagine someone spoke up and said "You know what? I'm a Christian!" and others followed suit. You wouldn't be "polar just for the sake of showing that you are opposed", you'd be enjoying the company of others with similar beliefs.

As long as we can keep this from degenerating into flames and ideology-bashing, I can't imagine why an Athiest Bassists Club would be a problem.

15. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I am an agnostic atheist.

I don't beleive there is a god.

I also know that my knowledge is not complete enough to know there is no god.

16. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    All I did was give an example that not believing in something doesn't mean you're necessarily opposed to it, that's all.

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think there is a sad situation when some have to bash other beliefs. You can make that argument across the hallway, but if you are guilty then you are guilty.

Futhermore, atheism is the AFFIRMATION that there is no god. I myself do not know and do not claim to know, so any affirmation either way seems ridiculous.

That said, in response to the second post, Secular Humanism is NOT the same thing is atheism. It is what I consider myself, and it states plainly that we do not know, or it does not matter since we do not know. And we are just here to the advancement of the human race in general.

Just saying, Secular Humanism is NOT the same thing, and if you claim to be one, you should know this.

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ok, i'm skeptical on the whole motivation of this thread, but i'll play along, as long as the posting remains appropriate.

being a bassist first, and then a moderator, i'll try to "moderate" this discussion along more bass-oriented lines, and pose a question to you guys.

how has your professed lack of faith-oriented beliefs affected your bass-playing lives?

19. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I agree! Wouldn't offend me at all. I'm just looking for the connection between bass playing and not-believing in God. An atheist should understand the connection between religion and music as even as they disagree with the premise itself. Since Christians view their talent, time, musical education, instruments, and the gear itself as an avenue to offer praise, then the "Praise God" comments are a natural part of their enthusiasm. It makes sense if you allow them their belief.

Likewise, I allow atheists their belief. I support your club! I just want you to help me understand it as more than a "self-justifying opposite." I mean that with all due respect and humility, and don't want to offend anyone.

20. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    i'm an atheist i'll join the only religion i have is music

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.