The Atheist Bass Player Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pc, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    With all due respect, the purpose of Talkbass isn't to unify atheists who feel disinfranchised and separated in a Christian world. It's about bass playing. If you reread my original post, christianity has meaning within the context of music and playing the bass. So having a "let's unify atheists in the face of this" is reduced to just what I said, an opposite for the sole purpose of showing you are opposite.

2. being atheist isn't as easy as you think. it isn't simply to have no beliefs... it is to not believe in gods and spirits...

i take my atheism quite seriously and have to make sacrifices the same way religious people do.

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    About one third of americans completely think you are FOS. But hey, I feel that way about others! ;)

I play in a bluegrass band, why I am not sure. Most gigs are fine, there are a few where I show up and you better believe people are thanking 'certain entities' for everything. Then they want to ask my how I got to where I am with playing? You think i even bother with a real response?

Cause its practice, learn, practice, learn, and practice some more. It has nothing to do with attributing my work to something else. But it's really better in these situations to answer specific questions about theory at this point, or nothing else.

Also, since all of these people are in the same demographic and I am not (ie I am not in plain view a white guy), we make little stories about me being from somewhere interesting (instead of Ohio). This may or may not be a good thing to tell stories like this, but honestly people on both sides of the fence get a kick out of hearing that I am a saddle stitcher from Peru. Or a something from Alaska...

cause they really don't want to hear I am a die hard math nerd Asian. Capeesh?

4. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    True enough, but by the same token it's not a place for P&W musicians to high-five each other with "praise god" posts, either. I don't have a problem with that, so why the tempest in a teapot here?

5. Not really relevant to the hip new age Atheists like me that like Egg Sandwich's and warm beer.

6. Good idea.
    Personally it hasnt affected me at all, partially because I've only played for 2 years and havent got much gig-experience..and partially because I live in Sweden, which is a fairly "atheistical" country, so being an atheist doesnt really affect you in any way really. I dont know how it is in other countries such as the USA, but atleast thats how it is here :)

7. It seems that some people feel that Atheism has meaning within the context of music and playing the bass.

8. Theme song for Atheist club?

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, think about the origins of the P&W thread. The members of that club were welcome to deal with their own specific questions and comments regarding their gigs and bass playing without forming a club or mentioning their beliefs. The fact that the club was created was for the same reason you are thinking this atheist club is being created- to unify Christians in a club where they can speak freely about their beliefs as often as they like. The idea that the club is all about gigging in a praise band is blown away the minute you start reading nearly any post in the thread. If you were to keep that thread on topic, meaning about gigging in a praise band, then the name "God" wouldn't need to be mentioned even once in the thread, as it wouldn't have anything to do with the topic. This thread is no different than that one.

10. rsint

rsint

Mar 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Well i've never had the pleasure of playing in a church.........:bag:

Btw can I be member number 666.....:bag:

11. Hi,
    I'm down with that. I actually wondered about it when I first saw a P&W club.
    Have we started handing out membership #'s yet?
    And thanks to whoever started the thread - took some guts - same as being an atheist.

13. TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Nov 27, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    lol... I don't know about the Doom, but if you start a Diabetic Taoist club, I'm there :)

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's actually altered my bass buying decisions in the past. There are several builders that are nearly evangelic in their beliefs, some even saying that god had a hand in building their instruments, etc. (Warrior being an obvious one of them, but there are others as well). I'm personally not a fan of supporting anyone who thinks it's their job to change my beliefs. I've also not jammed with a couple of people for this reason- not because they were religious, but because they felt their beliefs needed to be put on me.

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I think that's just what happens when you get a group of like-minded people together in a thread. It's clearly marked as to the context, so they don't feel like they are encroaching on other threads. Perhaps it looks more religous to those who aren't religious at all. Having grown up in church, it doesn't seem that way to me. It's just full of the type of jargon that religious folks use. The "Praise God", "Amen" and other such comments are just catch phrases that roll of the tone (or fingers) when you've spent so much time in that setting. Again, it's not like atheism at all which isn't centered on such things.

So bass playing is still ultimately at the center of either thread. I'm just saying that if you take out the religious jargon in the Christian P&W thread, replacing the "praise God" with a "right on" or something secular, they are still talking about using their talents in that musical idiom. Naturally the conversation shifts toward what you might call "spritual inspiration" and the Holy Spirit comes up as a result. But we all can agree on inspiration of some sort when playing music, so for religious guys that inspiration has a personification in a deity.

Maybe that's the springboard for this atheist club. Talking about personal inspiration as it relates to the music you make, without it having to be centered on atheism at all.

16. Just took a walk through, and saw that my first choice for a number has already been taken. Seems like I'm not the only one with a sick sense of humor. How about 345? In honor of Pythagorus (the 3, 4, 5 right triangle). Us musicians owe more to him than most of us realize.
    peace

17. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'm rather disappointed. As a Christian who also plays bass, I am curious about what makes someone who considers themself an Atheist who plays bass do what they do? What inspires you? What makes your craft meaningful to you? What brings you satisfaction in what you do? Please note, and this is important, I genuinely want to understand you and your perspectives better. That's why I ask these questions.

I'm not here to tell you you're wrong or worse or inferior. I hate the fact that so often people judge each other and never really take the time to get to know each other. And, after all, at the heart of forums isn't the intent to get to know each other, to build unity and broaden our understanding of what roll bass plays in each other's lives? Talkbass is a gathering place to share about bass, not religious perspectives. Let's keep our focus.

Frankly, I was hoping to learn something about Athiests who play bass by the time we reached the end of page one. Unfortunately we're on page six and still have not even said much of anything about bass in the life of an Athiest. Even the OP has not been successful in redirecting our attention to what the core subject should be. Again, I am interested in reading about what makes an Athiest bass player tick, and I mean that with all sincerity and no intention of finding fault. But my fear is that many here - whether Athiest, Christian, or otherwise - don't have the self-control to keep this particular thread on the topic of bass and will continually be turning it into a religious battleground.

18. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    I'm an atheist but I don't want to belong to any club as my atheism hasn't affected my bass playing in any way. I've played church gigs before and as far as I'm concerned the music is just music and I can easily filter out the message which is what makes the difference between secular and religiously motivated music.

I play for the joy of playing, not for the politics. If you have a problem with someone who wants to tell you about Jesus, look them in the eye, tell them you don't believe in that and walk away.

Don't you guys have some practicing to do? How are your sight-reading chops these days?

19. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well this should at least get moved, but prolly will get shut down as people never seem to be able to play well together. IBTL? Yeah i think i shall. Agnostic of the strong variety here. :ninja:

20. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

Thanks again for moderating this thread.

Now, as beyer160 said, this is about enjoying the company of others with similar thoughts. It is not related to how being an atheist would affect my life as a bass player.

I'm trying to be as polite and respectful as my poor english knowledge allows me, so please, don't take me wrong.

If you are looking for bass oriented lines here you should do a search on all these non bass oriented clubs

The meaning of this club is the same as:

- Festivus Club
    - The Christmas Drinks Club
    - The "I like Trivium" club
    - One club to rule all clubs club
    - The "I'm in a club", club
    - Naked Bassist Club
    - The TalkBass Cigar Club

(ok, maybe the Naked bassist club has something to do with bass playing :D)

And only to answer your question, my lack of faith-oriented belief doesn't affect at all my bass-playing life.

Peace :bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.