The "Attatched to your Old Gear" Dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shreave, Jul 29, 2003.

1. shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    I'll bet more than a few of you have been in this situation.

I just put together a new amp:
    Aguilar DB 659 followed by a Stewart 1.6.

To replace an old amp which just wasn't meeting my needs:
    Trace Elliot GP7SM 300W at 8 Ohm (Pre Gibson)

Now, just two days later, I'm having second thoughts about selling off the Trace. This thing has been the most solid piece of gear I've ever owned, and has been a trusty partner for the last 8 years. I'm not sure I can part with it. It's still solid, in perfect condition, and sounds great.

You see, I made the mistake of listening to some old recordings and got all sentimental. I've had this feeling about basses before (still have my Steinberger from '85 even though I HATE playing it now) but never expected to have the same feeling about an amp.

I figger I can get $300-$350 for the Trace, but is that worth parting with it? I'm not sure.
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I know the feeling. It's quite difficult to sell off any gear...

...keep the amp for a while and see how you like the new rig. In a couple of weeks you may have been converted to the new rig completely and you'll ask yourself what the fuss was all about. :) Or not, in which case you will still have the Trace and not have to kick yourself. If you need arguments you can always call it a spare, it's professional to have options in case something breaks. :)
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yeah, I agree. That Trace sounds like a back up amp to me. Better hang onto it.
  4. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Try to keep any gear you can afford to-especially if it's an old fav'. Generally, I start selling off when I get to third or fourth level backup gear...I just run out of room. Still, it's not easy...

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sell nothing! At SOME point in time, you will regret it. Plus, if you find yourself using a dedicated rehearsal space, it can be nice to leave an amp set up there (if the location is secure). It is nice to have a good backup, as well. And tonal flexibility options.

But, then I am somewhat of a poster child for having too much gear (17 bass cabs, 1 combo amp, 5 preamps, two power amps, 1 head, bunches of processors and pedals, 9 instruments, NOT counting my home studio!), so take my advice at your peril.

I will say that you should NEVER sell an instrument! Unless, of course, it's a Sadowsky, and you want to sell it to me!

6. Keep it as a backup/pratice amp. I had an old Acoustic head that I couldn't think of selling when I upgraded. Every now and then I would use it at gigs just for kicks. That always brought back memories. I did recently let it go, but to my brother in law who just took up bass. I have first dibs on it if he ever decides to sell it.
  7. I know the feeling... my studio is full of gear that I couldn't part with. Letsee, there's a Fender Showman with matching dual-D140F cab, the Traynor Custom Special I used throughout the '70s and a huge Trace Elliot refrigerator that I've leaned on until recently. My latest love is the EBS Fafner with a pair of Acmes. I'm going to have to get rid of some of it because I only really need ONE backup (and so do you!).
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Your new rig is very high quality (congrats, btw!) and I'm confident it won't give you any trouble, but as mentioned it's always good to have a backup, especially one with proven reliability.

And after considering the matter, I can understand your sentimentality. I often wish I still had my vintage SVT rig even though I no longer have the vehicle (or back! :eek: ) to move it!