The Australian Government finally gets it right!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petebass, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Noise complaints! They've been the bane of the Australian live music scene for a decade because the bureaucrats went mad. I can't tell you how many live music venues have either shut down or stopped hiring bands because of noise complaints from nearby residents. Not to mention those that have installed noise meters which require bands to play at ridiculously low levels.

I could never understand the logic. If you'd been happily living somewhere quiet and they built a noisy pub next door, then fair enough. The resident in that case has every right to complain IMO. But if the noisy pub has always been there, it's your own stupid fault for moving in isn't it?

Well finally, the legislation has been amended to agree with my logic. We now have "First Occupancy" rules, and thank goodness!

I fully applaud the Austr govt for making the change. At the very least, the live music scene will stop shrinking. Who knows, it may even begin to thrive again :)
  2. thats excellent. i used to work in the Norfolk pub in freo. Right beside it was a large bunch of units. The music had to be stopped by midnight on a weekend, and earlier during the week. i worked in the kitchen, and we werent allowed to make noise after 10pm. It was insane. They would try and ring up and complain because the stereo in the kitchen that we would listen to was too loud. And it wasnt really that loud.

If your stupid enough to move next door to a pub, and expect it to be peaceful and or quiet... you are a nugget

3. Good News!
    Thanks for the update. :D
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Awesome... good for you Aussies!

I remeber, quite a while ago I was considering checking out Australia as far as a place to live. And of course, the first thing I take into consideration... what's the music scene like down there? :D

Looks like business is about to pick up. :bassist:
  5. I think the scene is really starting to come into its own. I mean, its always been there, but its starting to get alot more attention. In this post im speaking for perth, as i havnt gone east yet.

Theres quite alot of metal starting to break through locally. Im seeing more posters and ads for some good heavy tunes. Although at the moment its mainly all about rock. Just straight up rock.

I just hope some more bands like Cog and Butterfly effect come out.
  6. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    melbourne's had a thriving music scene since i can remember. fitzoy, st kilda, the cbd, carlton... basically all the inner suburbs have had great live acts. you can hear 'em when you pass the pubs and clubs.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    St Kilda is awsome. Reminds me of Newtown in Sydney. The Espy ROCKS! :) Imagine someone moving into a house nearby, then getting it shut down 2 months later because of noise complaints.

If that seems far-fetched, it's not under our old rules. I've seen several excellent and established band venues disappear in examples not unlike this one. Kitty O'Shea's, The 3 weeds, The Sandringham, even Luna Park all fell victim to the old noise rules. I could go on for ages listing Sydney venues that were affected.......and how about Fanny's in Newcastle? That was worth driving 2.5 hours for. Then they built appartments nearby and BANG, no more bands.

It's my understanding that VIC and has always had "first occupancy" rules. Is it any surprise then that the music scene down there is thriving? With any luck, the industry will share my positive vibe on these changes and Sydney will once again become a busy live music city.
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    We have the same issues here. Folks buy houses near airports and gun ranges then complain about the noise.
  9. There's a new Perth band to watch out for - Cut Out City.
    I saw them play their first show at the Amplifier bar just before the New Year - \m/ THEY ROCK \m/ - look out for them!

The other good new about this is that the local raceway - Wanneroo/Barbagello's won't have to move!