Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Avatar B210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, May 22, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Does anyone here have any experience with the new avatar b210? i want to get my ohms to 4, and i love 10's so its a win win situation. i currently have a hartke 4x10, and i want somthing i can put on top of it for big shows, and something i can use for smaller things and auditions, because i don't have a practice amp. does it do good by itself??? i have an ampeg svt3 pro... would it work good? my band pretty much stays in drop D, and its we play pretty loud. would the B210 Be a good choice? i don't want a 15, i just want more 10s. please reply back soon.

Thanks,

Scott

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    From the Avatar web site it looks like the B210 has a -3dB point of 76 Hz...which seems pretty high on paper.

How it actually sounds as a stand-alone for Drop D is something I can't comment on. It might sound great to my ears and not to yours or vice versa. I think we focus too much on specs when we should be listening with our ears before we make a decision.

If you haven't done so alread, do a search for Avatar and see what you come up with.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Also, be aware that power will be distributed evenly between your 4x10 and your 2x10, so your 2x10 will likely be louder.

4. the B210 is a great cab. I use one and push 900w into it with great results. It handles the lows very well...you would probably be very happy with it.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Woofenstein...I see from your profile that you play a 5 string...

How does the B210 handle the B string?

Is your Yorkville a head or a combo?

What type of music do you play?

Do you have to boost the lows a lot to sound good?

Thanks for your input!

6. Well, lets see...I probably haven't updated my profile in awhile. The Yorkville is a 2x10 combo, but I don't use it in the band situations. As far as amplification, I have an SVT-4PRO that drives the B210. THe B210 handles the low B great for being a 2x10 cab, but of course it is quiter on the lowest of notes. I have used the cab alone with a guitarist and drummer in a blues band, and it did GREAT. Very punchy - with mids and lows bumped on the Ampeg, the B210 really growled for me (which is the sound I like). This cab can go quite loud when used by itself, and the fact that it can handle 700w RMS really gives you some great power options. Keep in mind that the Ampeg ius putting 900w RMS into the B210, so it's getting alot of juice. I am very impressed with the cab. I actually just ordered another. Hope this helps!

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yes sir, exactly what I was looking for!:)

Your comments go to show that the specs don't tell it all.