Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Avatar Challenge (mini-rig idea?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you were forced to take the pepsi challege with Avatar and a "premium" company like Ampeg could you tell the difference in sound. Now I realize the Ampeg fans are gonna be up in arms at this thread saying things to the effect of "Ampeg rules, but avatar is great for the money". I really just wanna know if Avatar is in the same league at this moment in time in a blind test. Are they equals in all but price and recognition? I'm also referring to the classic SVT series only. I personally am indifferent to both Ampeg (not bad, not good, just vanilla) and Avatar (no experience here).

The reason I ask is I have been contemplating in the future purchasing a mini-rig of sorts using a Avatar 2x10 and CB115H (turned on its side). Thats around 100 lbs., 1300 watts RMS and only 3 ft. tall. Sounds ideal for volume and portability issues. Price too ($516 total). Would this be a good rig? Could it handle some 6 string rumble? In all the past Avatar threads I've ever seen this exact rig has never been discussed. What do you think?:confused:

2. If I ever need to upgrade the 210 thats the rig I would get.

With a powerful amp it should well into the "earplugs required" zone.

Specwise, 1 Kappa Pro (as in the CB15) should be about the same loudness in the bass/lower mids as 2 Delta 12's in the B212 as its more sensitive.
    The 15 has a big peak at 2000hz-ish before it rolls off. A lot of speakers have this peak, not sure why.

No one has confirmed this in practice through.

On Daves site is says the CB115 is perfect for
    "jams, practice, or the small venues" but I can't see how it can be anything other than very loud with 600 watts pumped into it.

MM

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I am also considering purchasing this combination of speaker cabinets and I'll be watching this thread very closely.
    I don't want to highjack your thread, but I was wondering if somebody could tell me how many watts would be required to run those two cabs. (I'll also need to buy a head - the one I'm considering is 450 watts. Is that enough for the 210 + 115?)

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It sounds like a great idea to me. I love my Ampeg stuff, but its heavy as hell. I used to use Avatar's Compact 15, 12 setup. I only sold it because I had too much gear. But I will buy Avatar again in the future for sure.

To me, Avatar is EVERY BIT as good as Ampeg. As far as Eden, SWR, etc... I have never tried their cabs, so I dunno.

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mabye a solution is to buy a speakerless CB115 and slap an EV 15 in there. It'd only be around $100 more in the long run and probably well worth it as far as sound and the low B is concerned. Anybody thought of mabye trying this before?:meh:

6. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    "Avatar 2x10 and CB115H (turned on its side). Thats around 100 lbs., 1300 watts RMS and only 3 ft. tall. Sounds ideal for volume and portability issues. Price too ($516 total)."

I have that rig.

It's the best in the whole world.

And my amp goes to 12.

7. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can you comment on how it might handle a low B?

8. I'm impressed with avatar's affordability, and quality for the price. They're loud, tough and road worthy from what I hear, that should be the brass tacks of any cab. They seem to have problems with speaker screws, they're made out of wood and cause the speaker to rattle at higher volumes. That's an easy fix how ever, just go down to the hardware store and buy some metal ones. Avatar speakers may not be the most clear speaker cabinets, but they get the job done and that's all that matters.

I wish they had a compact 2x15, I'd buy two in a heart beat.

9. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Me too. Mabye we should start a petition for Dave, ya think?

10. heh, if you get enough customer demand. I think everyone that wants one should personally email him with the title "compact 2x15 bass cabinet."

wonder if it would work...

11. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    As soon as I get the chance, I'll see how it handles a low B. Might be a couple of weeks though.

12. The compact 215 would be nice but I had aidea for another speaker, a 312. I just ordered a 212 form Dave ( who is an awesome guy ) and will be ordering a 210 soon. I think if he put out a 215 for under 450 a lot of people would buy them.

13. I e-mailed him and he said it would be too big to ship through fedex or ups... Pipe dreaming I guess, but I think I may be buying my next arsonal from him soon.

14. One of the 15's could be floor or rear firing.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You might also want to talk to Don at Low Down Sound or perhaps Joey Nahas about your custom cab ideas.

As to your original question:

I can't speak to the Ampeg comparison, but if you were to substitute EA, Accugroove, Epifani (all of whom I consider to be "premium" manufacturers), I will positively say yes. In fact, I am confident that I could identify each brand 10 out of 10 times in a blind listening test (though admittedly, the Accugroove/EA difference would be the hardest to differentiate). However, just because something sounds different, doesn't mean that it's better or worse. If Avatar (or something else) can achieve your sound, can be easily lugged around, and hits a good price point, then go for it! But I don't think that just being able to hear a difference blindfolded should be your deciding factor. Now, if you can't get out and audition all the cabs that you want to hear (which is a predicament that I find myself in), you do sometimes have to make a leap of faith based upon the feedback of others. However, when possible, try not to do this without some kind of return policy.

Good luck, Tom.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Geezzzz... I need to buy myself a table saw and go into the custom cabinet business...

I'm not sure if a Compact 215 would really be too big...you might run into weight issues though...especially with FedEx Home Delivery.

FIXeR...I have a B210 and a CB115H (that I bought empty and loaded with an EVM15)...I'll crank up the 5 string and report back. My PLX2402 will put out about 700 watts into the 4 ohm speaker load. That should be enough, I think.

Gabu....who has the C15 now?

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Did quick run with the Avatar B210 and EVM loaded CB115H tonight. Using my Hoyt/Warmoth J5 with EMGs I did some serious house shaking.

I didn't detect any flatulance from either cabinet, but I didn't play too long as the family was home and they don't take too kindly to having their vision blurred by sound waves:D

I compared the B210/CB115H on one channel to a similar cab pair plus an Avatar B212 on the other channel. The two 12s do help...

If I can pry Lonnybass away from the prestigious gigs that he's been playing, I'll try to get him to drag his two Acme B2s over to compare mini stack to mini stack.

18. I am not really sure what to make of this. Are you saying he uses wood screws to put the speakers in. Like screws actually made out of WOOD? Having worked as a carpenter i really only recall seeing screws made of wood one time. This sounds pretty wacky. Can anyone elaborate?

19. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    BillyB...

BRING IT ON!!! We'll be waiting for you.
    :cool:

Lonnybass

20. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think he was misinformed. I think Dave uses wood screws-screws for wood, not MADE of wood.