The avocado market...........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 9, 2017.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Howdy Friends,

It's an odd thing. I've noticed the price of avocado in eateries going up, however, the price remains the same in the grocery store.

Anyone else experience this?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep.
    The latest trend around these parts is tableside guacamole, where the server prepares it right at your table. They charge $8, $9, or more for it too. Ridiculous.

-Mike

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I’ve nearly given up on avocados at this point. Not because of the price, but because they’ll look green and beautiful and I blink and they’ll be a mushy paste.

I’ve been eating a disturbing amount of Wholly Guacamole dip to make up for it.

4. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Contract pricing and a willingness for grocery stores to sacrifice a bit of profit to "hold the line" are usually the two biggest reasons.

The avocado market is basically a two year cycle. It's always one good year, then a so-so year. Something to do with the avocado themselves and how they are grown. Considering the current trend towards all things avocado, and being in a lull year, the market price has more than doubled in past months. What used to be a $36-40 wholesale case price is now hovering around $92. (Prices are what I am/have been paying in SE Michigan)

Sorry, geeked out for a sec.....I'll be ok, just gonna be over there....;)

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is probably the reason they are so expensive in restaurants. If your timing is tricky for one person, imagine trying to store and perfectly time ripe avocados on a mass scale. I would wager a third go in the trash.

6. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I have noticed the price of avocados has gone up in the stores around here. I bought some on sale at Whole Foods yesterday. Organic avocados for $1.49 each. I know Whole Foods has a reputation for being pricey but if you check the sales you can get some good deals.

7. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    The deli section at the market where I shop has had a notice posted about avocado availability and pricing for quite a while now. Next time I’m there I’ll read what it actually says.

8. Ogre’s testicles I say!

Think about Shrek the next time you gently squeeze one for ripeness at the grocery store.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Son of Wobble likes this.
  9. slobake

I could have spent my whole life without hearing that. :eek: :D

farshore, Mktrat, Gazman and 2 others like this.
  10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    california avocado season just ended, and there was a drought this year among other problems in CA, so expect higher end markets and good restaurant prices to go up. according to google, mexico grows avocados year round, though.

me, too! :***:

Son of Wobble and slobake like this.
  11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    more guacamole for me. :cool:

Son of Wobble likes this.
  12. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    avocados-636x423.jpg

Bryan R. Tyler likes this.
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Lol

14. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    If I could get USA avocados for $1.50 regularly I would be in heaven. Right now the Mexican ones are about that price and that's cheap.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Stop and shop had sad and pathetic looking avocados for two bucks a piece and the display was almost empty. People are buying them. I'd rather have no avocado than mediocre avocado.

TheBear and MAJOR METAL like this.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Little-known fact- this was a close second right behind “don’t tread on me” for our national motto.

TheBear, slobake and Gorn like this.
  17. slobake

Avacado? No thanks, I'd rather ave a am sandwich.

BboogieXVII likes this.
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

slobake likes this.
  19. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm sorry to hear the news! Fortunately for me, I weaned myself off of avocado when I learned that I was spending more on them than liquor and bass strings each month...

BboogieXVII likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021