The Awakening- Les Claypool

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 20, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ok, im kinda new to Primus, Les, and all that. You might of heard me talking about how I have to play a solo for school in previous threads, well I have decided, that im going to play this. I know the first few riffs, and I was just wondering if A) anyone knew where the COMPLETE bass tabs was and B) if there are any tips for this song or if anyone else came across bad habits when they were learning it. Thanks
  2. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    - it's not nearly as hard as you probably think it is.

- you're going to need to play it along with a drummer, or else you will sound like a knobsticle.

- don't listen to it and think you're hearing the right way it's played; get it right indefinitely, because it's just that kind of song.

- you might want to ad-lib a few of the fingerstyle parts, because Les's ad-libbing is just stupidly difficult to follow. as a whole, however, the song is pretty straightforward.

- the repetition in the outro gives me the ****s. do something else there in order to gain more chicks.

good luck, young Jedi kirbster.

have the holy mackrel version - i don't now how right it is but it's worth a look.

I play the tommy the cat version as attached.

The finger style in the two versions of the solo are different and i don't think he palys the chords in the mackrel version.

I might get that version of mine done up in standard notation eventually.
  4. I got bored so here it is in noteworthy composer. you can get it from

It's pretty dodgey cos u can't slide of mute but hey - theyr'e denoted appropriately (yes 's' is slide).

I've used the mods to show whats finger and slap and as for the fast bit he slaps 16th notes and hammers the g in between them. this is slightly different from the tabs so mix em up a bit. cos u'll never really be 100% sure what he's doing.

Here's the File
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you don't need to play it exactly like les, whats the point in playing copying a song that is already a cover of a different song..les doesn't play it like the reddings...why should you play it like les?
    I play the awakening how I think it should sound, its a dope song but there are some things les does that i personally feel are weak.

do what you feel is right of course
    lesfleaguy has a little noodling on this forum somewhere and he plays a bit of the awakening....or was it ToNeS...I forget at any rate both of themhave some wankering on the forums and one of them plays the awakening...whoever it was plays it, but not how les plays it, and not how I play it...its all about what you think you can do to the song.