Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Awakening

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Originally done by the Reddings, but more well known is the version that Les Claypool did with the Holy Mackeral (a true-to-the-original cover if I've ever heard one).
    I've been trying to figure this tune out literally for over a year. I can play 90% of the song, but there's one part that always screws me up.
    If you know the song, you know how it progresses in segments (at least that's how I hear it). Each chunk of it is seperated by the slow part where he plays the harmonics and the hard slapped D.

Segment 1 = The intro and everything until the second set of harmonics.
    Segment 2 = The finger-style part accented with chords, which he slides, on the G & D strings.
    Segment 3 = The part right after that^ part. He hits the D a few times, rolls down to an open E, and goes into a faster lick.
    Segment 4 = The harmonics after that^ part and everything else to the end of the song.

The part that gives me trouble is the faster part (segment 3).
    Just so we're clear, I'm talking about the part between 1:10 and 1:50 on the Claypool version.
    I've looked for tabs all over and can't find any accurate ones, and most of them are written so poorly I can't read them anyway. I figured out most of the song by ear, so I know the general gist of what he's playing and I know where on the neck he's playing it. I can get certain parts of it to sound perfect, but the faster parts I always end up over-playing and it sounds too cluttered.
    So if anyone can find some really accurate tabs, or write some out for me (PLEASE!!!), I will be forever in your debt.

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I haven't tried playing the song, or any of these tabs - but I've heard good things about "the Cheesy Home Page" as a good source of Claypool tabs. I see that if nothing else, there are a few different versions posted - maybe one will help you:

http://www.ram.org/music/primus/tabs/awakening.btab.html

Good luck!

3. i never figured out that part either. I always just did an E octave slide.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Look for video's of claypool playing it. I ended up getting a few vids and using them to peice together how he played it.. Mind you, this was well over a year ago, so I can't remember how to play it, or if i've got the videos still =/

5. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Theres a video of him playing it in 5 Gallons of Diesel with the Fancy Band.

6. Yeah, I've seen a few videos of him playing it but most of the time either the camera isn't close enough to see what he's doing, or the quality is a bit fuzzy, or I can see it fine and he's just moving to quick to see it clearly.

7. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    is it me or does he look sleepy or drunk? kinda like "there i played now let me go to bed"
    i'm leaning that tune also

8. BASE

BASE

Mar 27, 2006
    Hot Corn ready!!!!!!!
    hot corn.jpg
    Although I will say I found your statement "I can play 90%" then promptly request 1:10 to 1:50 of the 3:35 song rather dubious. I should have removed half the measures and just say some kernels fell on the ground whilst being prepared :p Have fun

9. Well, I guess I kinda suck at math :ninja:. I can BS my way through the first portion of this (after 1:10), it sounds right but it's not, know what I mean?
    But at least I admit that I'm BSing it.
    Anyway, THANK YOU SSSSOOOO MUCH!! I'm gonna go tear this baby up. Eventually, when I get the right soft/hardware, I plan on posting some recordings of myself. This will definitely be one of them.
    Thanks again man!

edit---DAMN!! My printer's out of ink!! NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!! I'm gonna have to copy it down by hand.....