1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the B string..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGirl1122, Sep 7, 2008.

1. At the very least occasionally drop the low octave in a song for effect. It can be very dramatic when done properly and sparingly.

Also, start working the F, F#, and G in on the B string instead of your E string. Depending on the line, it will allow you to hang out down around the 5th fret without chasing those notes down near the nut.

And continue to use it as a thumb rest.:D

2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I find it really helps to think of it as a musical thumbrest. You still have the usual 4 strings and would plant your thumb on a pickup anyway, so just plant your thumb on the B. I don't know why, but I've never had a hard time switching between 4 and 5.

3. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    I picked up my new and only 5 Sunday morning on the way to a gig and planned on using it. kit took the entire set to get use to that B string.

andy

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm telling you - musical thumbrest.

5. I actually find it considerably easier to play a 6 vs. a 5. I, too, play a 4th too low when I play a 5 for some reason.

6. xxDavidxx

xxDavidxx Guest

Aug 16, 2008
    Leiden, Netherlands
    my first and only bass is an ibanez GSR205, a 5-string. so i didn't have any trouble :bassist::D

7. ummm... by spending more than 5 minutes getting used to it:smug: It took about a full set to get used to my first one in the late 80's (and another couple of years to truly integrate the 5th string and get the muting issue taken care of), and I've never felt the need to play a 4 string again.

8. AK Rev

AK Rev

Apr 24, 2007
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I went straight to the 5 and skipped 4 altogether. I play in a couple of worship bands and use the low D a lot. I don't go below that as it doesn't seem to fit the music very well. My gear will handle it but it sticks out too much in our mix. I'm happy to have it for the D alone...and the thumbrest of course.