@&#*(#^%!!!! The Back of My Bass Popped Off!!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Touch, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO

The back of my 110 year old carved bass popped off at the seam. I guess that's better than the wood breaking.

Serves me right I suppose..... touring in the winter with a carved bass.

So now BOTH basses are in the shop... and gigs all weekend.

There .... I feel better now.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

If only it were so easy. My sympathies, and a hearty "get well soon" to your axes.
  3. I feel your pain. I have a new open seam on my hybrid bass (which is less than a year old). Even worse, it was my own goddam fault (last night, late for a gig, in a hurry -- whacked it on the doorframe).
  4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    That happened to me once. It's moments like that which caused me to bite the bullet and lug around that clunky semi-hard box.
  5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Always feel grateful when a seam pops. No seamie, crackie!!
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I had that happen to my old Epiphone, when I left it in a jazz club in Lahaina overnight. Next day, showed up for work, the whole top of the back had popped off in the heat of daytime. Went back together just fine though, I did the work myself. The worst part was having to play slab on that night's jazz gig.
  7. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Yep..... I'm glad it was the seam and not the back itself. Luthier should have it repaired in time for tonight's show. My Kay is getting major surgery and won't be finished for a while.

The worst part was playing our banjo player's string bass last night. A 1940's old King with a badly carved bridge, 2 cm high action and Labella Supernils.

8. I also did this, with no cover on my bass, during my first semester of college while walking into my bass teacher's office for a lesson. That sucked.