the backup rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattyN, Apr 28, 2004.

1. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    i was playing two nights at a ski resort this winter. on night 2 i went to flip on my svt3 and.... no sound. very strange, it was working fine the night before.

this was kinda stressful, especially cause the room was packed and our drummer was bouncing up and down to get started. after some desperate attempts at troubleshooting we managed to salvage the gig by hooking me into the keyboard players rig (an old solid state 1x12 which i had to push really hard). we ran the keys straight through the PA.

anyway, getting to the point... my amp is fixed (under warranty) but i learned two valuable lessons at that gig.

1. Always do a sound check on the 2nd night, even if you left your gear set-up (duh).

2. Carry a BACKUP RIG.

i just orded me up an ashdown mag 300 (fresh from china) to ride shotgun to my svt. i think this will be enough to carry small rooms and for bigger venues i can run it through the mains.

yes, i am fully aware that once i get my backup my main rig will probably never go down again... but thats just the point. and if it does, i'll proudly throw down my lil ashdown and crank the subharmonics :D
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I tour with an Eden 600 and an Eden 800 with a bunch of other stuff in a rack.

I always use the 800 and have yet to use the 600 in a gig. Nice to know it's there though. Touring without a backkup rig is just asking for trouble.
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    A backup rig is a great idea but I think I speak for many bass players when I say it isnt practical.
  4. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Since we are usually playing through decent sound reinforcement equipment, my backup rig is a Whirlwind DI box. Fits right in the old gig bag!

I dont' sweat that it doesn't sound anywhere as "charactered" or "full-bodied" as my rig... besides... it's only for emergencies anyway... right? :smug:

Right? :meh:
  5. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    hmm. i'm hoping that a small light head like the mag 300 will be easy enough to move around.
  6. The bands I'm in play anything up to three to four hundred miles from home on occasion.Its a long drive home to get the spare.
    Having something as a backup just in case makes good sense to me.