Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bad Plus

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by bassopotumus, Mar 17, 2004.

1. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    This band may not suit you traditionalists as well as it does myself, but I think they rule.

www.thebadplus.com

Thats their site, I strongly recommend them to anyone who loves jazz. They have a lot of exclusives on Itunes, and they are doing very well. I think they are a tornado of fresh air to the jazz scene. I mean, they may not be the greatest thing going, and a lot of people hate them, but at least it's something different! (not something that we've been seeing in the music industry in general). Well anyway, I'll quit my babbling and leave you all alone now.

-THE Bassopotumus

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They're on the cover and featured in this month's "Jazz Times".

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What's new and different about them? I'm genuinely interested - I buy a lot of Jazz CDs and love fusions of Jazz with different musical forms, for example...

So what is it, that makes them "fresh" and "different"?

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Well, Bruce, a lot of acoustic piano trios don't play Iron Man. At least around here.

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France

Man, you don't get it: they're the baddest !

(I must agree with Bruce,after a tour of they site I'm still not sure if I want to buy their CD's; nice packaging tho)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - Brad Mehldau has been doing this kind of thing for a few years - he actually has a track called "Sabbath" on his "Largo" album which is very "metal"!! ;)

I find his ideas very interesting - playing all sorts of tunes in different time signatures and styles - I particularly liked his piano trio version of RadioHead's : "Paranoid Android". :)

But, to be honest, in Europe we seem to get nothing but Piano Trios playing "ironic" choices of material - everybody seems to want to be the "Esborn Svenson Trio"!! ;)

It has got to the stage where, if I see a piano trio, advertised at my local Jazz club, I don't turn up unless I know the players well - whereas, if there are horn players, I know it's going to be good!!

8. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    All in All, The Bad Plus is trying to make a start on the "future" of music. New genres (because I haven't heard of a Jazz group quite like this), new styles, etc. They have some amazing original stuff, and their covers are really amazing too. I can't really explain them and their music in words....they're really a band you have to listen to, to make sense out of them.

-Bassopotumus

9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bruce, I think the key with these guys is that they aren't being ironic. Its obvious they pick the songs they play carefully and really love them as songs.

10. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Smash, looking at the amazon listing for Motel, it looks like this is an original:

1. Knowing Me Knowing You + Abba
    2. Blue Moon + Rodgers & Hart
    3. 1972 Bronze Medalist + King
    4. The Break Out + Anderson
    5. Smells Like Teen Spirit + Cobain
    6. Labyrinth + Iverson
    7. Scurry + Iverson
    8. Love Is the Answer + Anderson

11. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    You should also check out their newer albums, "These are the Vistas" and "Give". They are both amazing, but I think their best album to date is "Give". That's the one with Iron Man on it, and the songs are truly incredible. I also love the sound they get on their instruments.

12. frankosaurus

frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    if you like Bad Plus, check out Meta from DC...

http://meta.realish.com/

They have the same instrumentation and also do covers of recent popular tunes. (check out the site for mp3s) I haven't heard them live yet but in the mp3s the bass really isn't up front. It's mostly the piano.

--Frank

13. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    hey thanks Frank(osauraus). They do seem pretty cool.

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I've heard some of their stuff, and I love it. I'm definitely going to buy the cd's next summer.

15. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    That's Esbjörn Svensson , Bruce. ;)

/lovebown

16. There´s no easy access to letter " ö " in Bruce´s anglo-saxon keyboard, brother.
    Lucky us.

R2

PS. I don´t know how to make the O with a dash in
    Niels-Henning Örsted-Pedersen´s name, so I write it with "Ö" to create some more confusion...

17. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    Just to add to this whole thing, I'd like to add David King's (the drummer) quote: "This whole concept of people having their own things? We're not into that." Just wondering what you people thought of that comment.
    BTW, by "things" he probably meant something along the lines of "genres".

18. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I just pickeup "These Are the Vistas" last night-- I love it. I had heard the Nirvana cover on a CMJ CD a few months ago and really dug it. THe rest of the CD is great. I'm particularly taken with track #8--"Film."

19. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Bad Plus rock. But also check out Fly on savoyjazz.com. Sax trio with Larry Genadier on bass. I'm still a jazz newbie and a slab playin' DB wannabe, but this is already one of my favorite jazz discs.

disclaimer: I used to play a little sax and so am biased in that direction, but don't let that stop you.

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Uh, I don't like it, Not because they chose tunes that have weak melodies that go nowhere and not because they are "redfining modern pop" by playing covers of Nirvana and Sabbath.

I don't like the m 'cause I think they sound bad as an ensemble.