The Bali 9

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Has this news reached overseas?

9 young Aussies have been picked up in Bali for attempting to smuggle a large quantity of heroin out of the country, and are now in danger of facing a firing squad.

They were "mules", which means they were couriering the drugs for another party. They agreed to do this for the measly sum of $10000AUD - between them!

I cannot fathom why they would do this. It is common knowledge here in Australia that drug-trafficking in Indonesia carries a potential death sentence. These people went to the Balinese airport the day before they were caught, and were scared off by the large police presence, only to try again the next day and get caught.

These people are young - average age of 20. Many of the accused are said to be not very bright (obviously).

In Australia, there is a section of the media and left-wingers that have questioned why they weren't allowed to travel to Sydney and be caught there, but the point is that they broke the law imposed in Indonesia and must be tried under those laws.

The Indonesians use the death penalty for drug-trafficking because they despise the damage that could be done to peoples lives by the drugs that are smuggled. I must say I support their stance, but I have very mixed thoughts about the death penalty.......

Your thoughts?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    They should be punished according to the laws of where they broke them. Even if the punishment seems severe.

Same thing happened in the nineties where an American was caned for vandalism; he had to abide by the laws of the country (I believe it was China or Japan) or suffer that country's punishment.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    They were really stupid to do that.
    As for the death penalty... both yes and no...
    These are 9 lives we're talking about... nine young people.
    OTOH, that drug could easily claim more lives than just nine. Death penalty is a long-used method to scare people off from comitting crime. They knew that it was the law there, so that makes 9 idiots less.
  4. Confusing 'disclaimer':I sometimes claim to support the death penalty, but if I had to pull the trigger myself, I couldn't off Hitler.
    That being said, these guys messed up bad. I guess they never saw 'Midnight Express'. Should be required in schools, I say.
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    What can you do? These kids knew the risks involved when they took the "job". They make the penalties stiff because they don't want to deal with that garbage.

With that said, it is a shame any country uses death as a form of punishment, much less by something as inhumane as a firing squad.
  6. You roll the dice and you take your chances. Boy what stupid odds to bet your life on. I don't support the death penalty, but mabey the gene pool will remain a little purer without aholes like that.
  7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I grew up in Jakarta, Indonesia's capital city. The Indonesian government does not mess around when it comes to drugs at all, even possesion. Generally if you were an ex-pat. (i.e. a foreigner) when I was there they'd leave you be or look the other way but I here alot of thats changed since America's involvment in the Iraq war. Possibly due to Indonesia being over 80% muslim.

These cats should have known the cost when they decided to be couriers. They obviously felt it was worth it at the time. If we weren't talking heroin here I'd probably feel differently though. :meh:
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I personally don't agree with a government imposed death penalty (ask me in the lobby about my view), but there is no defence of "stupidity" so these 9 should reap what they sowed.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're not wrong. The first thing I noticed when I arrived at Denpessar airport in Bali was the huge sigh saying "Drug trafficing in Indonesia is punishable by death". I was looking for a sigh that said "Welcom to Bali".

That said, why are drugs so readily available over there? I was offered drugs more times in a week than I my whole life hanging around seedy bars in Sydney. The main street in Kuta is especially bad, but that's also where all the nightlife is, so it's hard to avoid.

Has anyone seen the footage of the guys being led away? I could hardly believe my eyes. They were fools to think they could simply strap the drugs to their bodies.
  10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    +1.....what I was trying to say in better words. I hope these guys dont die for this, but also hope big brother doesn't step in and tell jakarta how to handle it either. I have no problem with countries making this punishable by their stiffest penalties, I just wish it wasn't that far.
  11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Maybe things would be more streight forward if Australia had taken a more liberal attitude to the Indonesians floating around on that boat last year... Just a thought.
  12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    My stupid and irrelevant post meter is going off the chart.

1. Indonesia's hard line on drugs has been around a lot longer than the relatively "recent" boat people issues;

2. Although the boats originated from Indonesia and were organised by Indonesian people smugglers, the actual asylum seekers are from the middle east;

3. Indoensia's government doesn't give a flying fandango about people being smuggled "out" of its country.

But it was a nice try ;)
  13. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ok, im really hungover, and its still only 11am. I'd normally check out the facts of something like this but i chose not to this time.

Secondly, all i meant was that if Aus had been more liberal then maybe the Indonesians would have been more accomodating now.

But since i was factually, completely wrong, its kinda a reductive point. :p
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    See this is why I stay out of the lobby - because I don't know the intricacies of American politics and I might say something that's .... put it mildly...... not quite right!
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is "kinda like" a totally meaningless expression!!

But it's fast becoming your catchphrase!! ;)
  16. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Well they knew the risks, took the chances and got owned. While I may not agree with the death penalty, they really have no excuse there. There's no reason to suggest that they should be tried in Australia, they got busted in Indonesia and are subject to their laws.
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Forrest Gump:

"Stupid is as stupid does."

Hmm...big sign when I get off the plane says "Drug Trafficking Is Punishable By Death"....hmm....well, that doesn't scare me, I'll just strap some heroin to me and get on the flight home...sounds like easy money...

Seems to me that the Indonesian government is doing the human gene pool a favor. Now, if they'd just crack down on the rampant credit card fraud with the same gusto....

(I get about 3-4 requests for high-dollar musical instruments from Indonesian individuals every month, and when we check their "bona-fides", they are ALWAYS stolen numbers. :scowl: In four + years, I've never had a genuine Indonesian order at Bass Central, ever. I'm to the point now that when I see a request from Indonesia, I just set it aside until I've got NOTHING else to do...:spit: Oh, and yes, we report the stolen cards to the CC companies.)
  18. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Which one? "kinda like" or "reductive"? If its "kinda like" then ill try and cut that out of my speech because I dont think its an intelligent or attractive phrase. If you mean reductive, I just love the word; it sums up so much on the internet. Infact, the internet is pretty reductive as a whole ;)
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I can make it easy for you Gard. Every band I saw in Bali was using Peavey amps and PA's. If you get any orders for anything else, ignor it.

You really have to have been there to understand how the place works. They're a poor country so money talks. You can get anything for a price, so it doesn't surprise me that a fake credit card can be had quite easily.