1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Band Got Some Promo Pics Done

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TheDarkReaver, Sep 28, 2008.

1. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I'm pretty happy to how they turned out. There was worry about lighting because we were doing it before our last gig and soundcheck ran late, so it started to get dark outside. However, I rather like the colour of the darker blue sky.

l_1bd4f7c7c25827055d2301b6b32c7fdd.

l_421d28447de3e64e475b74204a06ff77.

WiSP.

All done by a guy called Brian James, more of his work can be found here

(oh and I'm the guy in the sonic t-shirt)

2. Yep, hot chick in the front. Smart photographer.:D No, those are some cool pics. Are you guys putting out a new cd or something?

BTW, I loved that game, Sonic the Hedgehog.

3. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Getting some recording done in December, but we just wanted general all purpose promo shots. You know, that can be used on posters, myspace etc.

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Cool photos.

5. have to agre very good pics!

6. ColdSteelRain

ColdSteelRain

Jul 27, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Very cool! I think the dark sky works great and fits with the look of the band.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    In the second pic, you kind of look like Jose Pastillas from Incubus. Its the lighting, because you really dont in the others, but that second one struck me as very... Jose-ie.

EDIT: Got myself confused. First pic too, not only the second.

8. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Hmm, I do a bit. I think it must be the hat + the glasses + the shadows.

9. Tell the guy in the tie that his shoes are untied. He could trip over them.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Well, the scruffy-ness too. :bag:

11. Compositionally the last pic is more appealing, the upward camera angle immediately draws the eye in. The is an attitude and meaning in the shot. The first 2 images are not centered or balanced properly and there's an awkward symmetry as a result. For example the horizontal beams of the bridge aren't horizontal and look slightly awkward to the eye. Straighten 'em up, introduce a slight fish eye lense affect or similar and add depth by blurring out the background slightly, as this (the background) is competing for your attention with the focus of the main group (you), which is ultimately the point and purpose of the images. In the first 2 images it sort of looks like you're waiting for a bus and you look bored!

12. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    My 2¢:

#3: You and the redhead disappear. Location is now entirely generic. Pic won't reproduce well.

#2: Sky and ironwork look best here, but the eye-level shot loses the mood gained from shooting low in pics 1 & 3. Guys on the wings in pic 2 look passive because of dangling arms.

#1: Compared to second pic, the only loss is the ironwork, but the band looks better here. In pic 2, guys on the edges look passive and uncomfortable. In pic 1, though, oxford-and-tie guy has some attitude, and black tee guy gets a kind of cool '70s vibe with the low-angle shot and disappearing arms trick. I also prefer the way the redhead's shoulders are angled in pic one, and it's probably a selling point for your band that the perspective makes the band seem to back her in pic 1.

However, you might find that in reproduction, the bars and sky are too busy for low def B&W media (ya know, newspapers and photocopied flyers, say). A tighter crop might make it workable. If not, for low-def use I'd reshoot something like #3 with more careful lighting.

Edit: I should add, comments above are just how I would sort through which of three posted pics to use. They're all pretty nice shots, especially for full color web use.

13. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Nice job, they all look very good. Somewhat "spooky and mysterious" you know? But really, they are pretty good.