Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The band instructor for our school owns a...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Cherry Red, matchin Headstock Roscoe Beck Sig Model.

Had Activity Period this morning, so I went in earlier, took it, and played it for about 45 mins. God I love that bass :|

How much do they usually go for?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I agree.

I havent played any FMT's, but the Roscoe has an AMAZING B string. The only good Fender 5, IMHO. That and the spacing isnt narrow :D

4. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga

If Fender had any sort of quality control and didn't cut corners at the cost of quality, and G&L stopped making great instruments, then G&L might have to worry. I would buy a G&L over a Fender any day of the week.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia

that's totally out of this world. i would buy a G&L over a Fender ALWAYS. this decision is due to the higher quality of G&L. you are talking about a signature bass (and they should maybe eliminate the signature and rename the bass, you know a lot of people are not interested in signature instruments for certain dull ideas), add new finishes and custom options such G&L offers, make a substantial modification adding a preamp and invest money on marketing and adds to eliminate the G&L L serie which is so well established in a certain market. plus they shoud invest money for a 4 string version too. when L serie is the finest design of the last Leo Fender, sold at bargain price with awesome sound, feel and workmanship.

The RB is a great bass but to me it looks as a "copy" that Fender made looking at the G&L. i tried 2 different RB and was honestly really impressed. Ended buying a G&L. couldn't be happier.

6. I have to agree in thinking that this bass is a really good bass that with some redesigning it could be a really great bass. The pups are the best passive 5 string pups I've ever played. They have more flexability than most active setups and better tone as well. Adding a Bart 3 band pre-amp would have to make a good situation even better. However, I would rather see it left passive than to see it with one of those crappy Fender pre-amps. Even the new 18 volt ones which are better than the 9 volt ones just don't seem to get it. Why not have a pu blend pot instead of the selector switch and push pull deal on the tone control. ( what was RB thinking of ) Get rid of that glossy finish on the back of the neck! I don't know of anybody who prefers a glossy finished neck over a satin finish. Personally I like the 3 inch string spacing at the bridge ( which I think is an outstanding bridge ) however the 1 7/8" at the nut is just too wide for my small left hand. If that could be slimmed down to around 1 3/4" I would feel more comfortable with it. I really do think that the RB is Fenders best 5 string and the mods I would like others would probably hate. So, thats why people order DP customs I guess. jmho

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You asked about price. They can typically be found used for $700-$800, and there have been several for sale here and on BassGear.com recently.

jd

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Personally have had poor luck with G&L basses except for a very early L-1000 that was a nice bass. I've owned 2 other G&L basses and the active electronics were so noisy that the basses were not usable at many venues. I also do not like the profile of most G&L 5 string necks.

The RB 5, on the other hand, is one of the best basses that Fender has produced IMO. Certainly not a "clone" of anything G&L has done. The passive electronics are very good and there is not a bad tone in the RB 5.

Certainly each bassist is entitled to his own opinion and many players love G&L's. They simply don't work for me and that may be due to the amplification I use (Demeter/Stewart/Eden XLT).

Chuck