The band instructor for our school owns a...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Cherry Red, matchin Headstock Roscoe Beck Sig Model.

Had Activity Period this morning, so I went in earlier, took it, and played it for about 45 mins. God I love that bass :|

How much do they usually go for?
  2. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I agree.

I havent played any FMT's, but the Roscoe has an AMAZING B string. The only good Fender 5, IMHO. That and the spacing isnt narrow :D
  3. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000

If Fender had any sort of quality control and didn't cut corners at the cost of quality, and G&L stopped making great instruments, then G&L might have to worry. I would buy a G&L over a Fender any day of the week.
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

that's totally out of this world. i would buy a G&L over a Fender ALWAYS. this decision is due to the higher quality of G&L. you are talking about a signature bass (and they should maybe eliminate the signature and rename the bass, you know a lot of people are not interested in signature instruments for certain dull ideas), add new finishes and custom options such G&L offers, make a substantial modification adding a preamp and invest money on marketing and adds to eliminate the G&L L serie which is so well established in a certain market. plus they shoud invest money for a 4 string version too. when L serie is the finest design of the last Leo Fender, sold at bargain price with awesome sound, feel and workmanship.

The RB is a great bass but to me it looks as a "copy" that Fender made looking at the G&L. i tried 2 different RB and was honestly really impressed. Ended buying a G&L. couldn't be happier.
  5. I have to agree in thinking that this bass is a really good bass that with some redesigning it could be a really great bass. The pups are the best passive 5 string pups I've ever played. They have more flexability than most active setups and better tone as well. Adding a Bart 3 band pre-amp would have to make a good situation even better. However, I would rather see it left passive than to see it with one of those crappy Fender pre-amps. Even the new 18 volt ones which are better than the 9 volt ones just don't seem to get it. Why not have a pu blend pot instead of the selector switch and push pull deal on the tone control. ( what was RB thinking of ) Get rid of that glossy finish on the back of the neck! I don't know of anybody who prefers a glossy finished neck over a satin finish. Personally I like the 3 inch string spacing at the bridge ( which I think is an outstanding bridge ) however the 1 7/8" at the nut is just too wide for my small left hand. If that could be slimmed down to around 1 3/4" I would feel more comfortable with it. I really do think that the RB is Fenders best 5 string and the mods I would like others would probably hate. So, thats why people order DP customs I guess. jmho
  6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You asked about price. They can typically be found used for $700-$800, and there have been several for sale here and on recently.

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Personally have had poor luck with G&L basses except for a very early L-1000 that was a nice bass. I've owned 2 other G&L basses and the active electronics were so noisy that the basses were not usable at many venues. I also do not like the profile of most G&L 5 string necks.

The RB 5, on the other hand, is one of the best basses that Fender has produced IMO. Certainly not a "clone" of anything G&L has done. The passive electronics are very good and there is not a bad tone in the RB 5.

Certainly each bassist is entitled to his own opinion and many players love G&L's. They simply don't work for me and that may be due to the amplification I use (Demeter/Stewart/Eden XLT).