Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The band is better than the bar

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JohnBarr, Aug 31, 2004.

1. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    The perspective on this one comes from the audience side.

I went to hear a good local central NY band the other night, Los Blancos. They are well thought of in the region and usually attract a good crowd. This was a different place, the crowd started off thin, but the guys put out their usual best.

A sports bar, right. TV's all over the place, so when the band starts the benighted owners leave the damned things on, tuned to what ever team was playing what ever game. :mad:

Does this kind of rudeness strike anyone besides me? It's just disrespectful to the band: Duh, you guys go ahead o'var and play, we'll just keep watchin this here fuballgame.

And doesn't it send a mixed message to anyone who walks in the door?

Fortunately, the band was good enough to get over it (did a song called Block That Kick) and win the crowd, no thanks to bar. But I don't think they'll be back, and neither will I.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Yup. I usually go to the bar and sit down during the set and watch the game with the other patrons (ain't wireless grand?) until the bar owner comes up and tells me to get back to work. Then I'll spazz out on him and tell him to shut the band up 'cuz I'm trying to watch the game. When he turns red or purple in the face and shuts off the game, back up on stage I go. Usually frees up two or three seats at the bar when I vacate as well (35" scales rock!)...

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Honestly the TVs don't bother me. At some gigs I have the full understanding that the band is not necessarily the center of everyone's attention. Sometimes, I like to catch part of the game from the stage.

Watching football while playing bass - man that's great! Two of my favorite activities at one time.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

man , that's standard stuff here in Po'dunk ...
    almost every bar in town jumped onto the " TV in every corner " wagon train...
    i'm used to it .
    :cool:

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Watching football while playing bass - man that's great! Two of my favorite activities at one time.[/QUOTE]

They both get my total attention so I never mix business with business! But almost every gig there is a TV on somewhere, so we always ask to turn them off in order to " not cause any shorts or circutsbreakers to get thrown" or " don't want to cause interference in our PA from the TV's". Sometimes it works!

6. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    If the Lions were on TV I'd ask them to turn it off too :D

J/K I'm just psyched for the football season.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

7. At least nobody turned on the juke... :rollno:

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I was playing in an "icehouse" (short for "sweatbox") and the jukebox came on in the middle of a song, blaring some crap like "Achy Breaky Heart"...I ran over and gave it a good BUMP with my bum. It got mega laughs out of the crowd, the bartender started to yell at me- until I gave him "the look"- :eyebrow: then he unplugged it...

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Hey there! Watch it!!!

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I can usually reach the tv behind me and turn it off, but there are always 5-10 others in the place. It was really tough competing with the Olympics last weekend. Hmm, greatest athletes on the planet, or the local cover band, what's going to draw your attention?

11. Honestly? The local cover band.

12. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    OKOKOK It must be me :meh:
    I'm an old stuffed shirt. Monotasker. :p
    And if the band can take being ignored by 3/4s of the crowd, who am I to complain :confused:

13. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I hate sports. I don't like remembering my high school days of living vicariously through the players on the tv screen, I mean, they don't know or care about ME, right?

14. Hey Jive, who you rooting for now? Still going for those "soon to be Urlacher-less for the rest of the season" Bears?

I had a show about a month or so ago at a bar that had one of those video jukeboxes. I spent about a quarter of my attention watching videos while I played...

15. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I knew I shouldn't have done it, but...

One of my more enjoyable nights on stage was playing with my classic rock band while I watched my alma mater Golden Gophers win the national championship.

And if you ask "which national championship?" well, DUHHHH! (Hint: 5 skaters and a goalie.)

I enjoy the occasional Twins game during summer gigs, too. the lead singer and I have been known to look at each other and go "ALL RIGHT!" in the middle of a song when Torii Hunter hits a 3-run homer.

Seriously, every multi-tasking bar around here leaves the TV's on while the band plays. I THINK the reasoning is to attract couples...the girl watches the band while the guy watches the game.

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Hey, sometimes the TV's are welcome. It relieves boredom during the millionth time you play "That's the way love goes."

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The sports bar thing is very popular around these parts. Some places won't even let us start playing if Maryland basketball is on.Our guitar player gets all bent out of shape when there is a TV on when we play. I don't care if it's sports but to have some stupid movie, or lame sitcom on sucks. I like having a TV on that way I can watch the Capitals, Ravens, Orioles, Wizards, or DC United lose will I play. :D

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Nah, stuff like a rowdy pool game 3 feet from me, when I'm playing jazz, registers a little annoyance though. TV? Fine, happens all the time. As long as the sound is off, no worries. There's less sports on in the later hours out here on the west coast anyway. Lots of what I play could be construed as background music, and actually I kind of like it that way.

20. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Oh yeah, can't wait.

Just fueling the fire, and havnig fun with my midwestern rivals.
    I get a little homesick this time of year.

Back to the thread:
    For some reason I can handle sports on TV, but sitcoms and etc. seem to be a waste. Especially if you're playing the typical all niter on a Friday or Saturday. Band vs. late night TV? The band (even a bad one) has to be better than the garbage on at that time.

How do you guys feel about NTN? Watching triva on TV, or watching folks type away while others are rocking out is a little wierd to me.