Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The band that influenced all of us...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 5156246, Sep 14, 2000.

1. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    Just wanted to post a nice screenshot of a well known band..

[​IMG]

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    who are they? you know, they spelled their name wrong.

3. A quote from the bio of an old friend of mine making folk records now:

"...The Beatles are also high on my list. But then again, whose list AREN'T they on. I mean, come on they're the Beatles. Anyone that dislikes the Beatles is clearly stupid and should be mocked thoroughly..."

:D

visit his site at:

http://www.lijoi.com

4. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    I don't know exactly, I think it's a little band from ol'england. But they play quite bad, don't think they will be successfully anytimes.

Actually I just thought this is a nice picture to show us all.

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Weren't they England's version of the Monkees....or something like that? :D

6. The Fab Four have had a profound effect on pop music.McCartney is more than just a "frustrated guitarist", he is a unique bassist and an all around musician. However,there are many bands that have left their mark in music history.It would take a long time to answer your question in full length.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    True; they were actually The Beatless(a typo gave us the name we all know)...
    Too, The Beatles were the Fab Four & The Monkees were the Pre-Fab Four; so, I guess it was The Monkees(being "pre") that influenced/inspired The Beatles, huh?

8. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    They are Take That, after Robbie left the group.

BTW, who the f*ck are the Beatles?

9. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i hate them, dont get me started on them, i hate them

10. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    they didnt influence me either

11. John Weigel

John Weigel

Aug 19, 2000
    At Ft Chaffee Arkansas in December of 1981 I was interviewing Marielistos who were variously incarcerated or interned there and of course John Lennon was killed. The Spanish language camp paper had an Abbey Road photo of John and the headline, "Se Muerto John Lennon". One of the cubanos saw my copy of the paper on my desk and said, En la habana siempre oimos por el radio a los [phonetically] bay ah tlays. Later I tried to explain to another interviewer who had spent the late 60s and 70s in Paris the impact of the Beatles. They transformed popular music, I said. No they didn't, he said. I've never heard of them.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...congrats; two posts in a row with no mention of, what's his name,...Mike Watt.

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    C'mon...tell us how you REALLY feel....:)

14. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Aren't they that Oasis rip-off band?

15. I know it isn't possible to like every band under the sun,but,I know I could learn something from anyone.I particularly don't like the Greatful Dead;however,I read an interview with Bob Weir in an old issue of Guitar Player and he mentioned the use of partial chords in his band because of the necessity for clarity and not wanting to clutter the sound.Believe it or not,I've used that advice as a bassist and it has helped to give me my "sound".

16. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    No Beatles fan here either.

However, I will give credit where credit is due. They have influenced us all, who play rock, in an INDIRECT way.

17. That's cool.I saw King's X in
    Virginia.They pay tribute to the Beatles.Listen to the vocal harmonies.During a guitar solo,Ty Tabor played a few notes from "Norwegian Wood."It was beautiful.

18. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Since someone who has influenced me...was perhaps himself, influenced by the Beatles....I will have to agree with Doug. But ONLY...indirectly. :D

19. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    they havent influenced me in any way, directly or indirectly, maybe negatively, but thats it

20. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    Thus you don't make music? ;)
    But, really, it is impossible that anyone was not influenced.

That's it.