The banjo bass???????!!!???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzcatb17, Sep 24, 2003.

1. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    The Goldtone banjo bass

Im strangely intruiged.... some what disgusted....But very interested, Anyone know anything on this?? And does it come fretless???
  2. I'd been wanting to construct something similar, but have never seen one actually made. I want to play one, I bet it would sound cool.
  3. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    yeah but does anyone really know anything on it?
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I find the whole thing to be disturbingly attractive....:D :bag:
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hmm...I'd be anxious to see one of those. Without a resonator, it wouldn't be as loud or deep. Especially with a maple body. That says it sounds like an acoustic upright?! Have you ever heard an upright that has that "banjo-y" twang? As entry-level banjos go, that thing had better be pretty dang nice to retail at $800.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    WAYYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced! I mean, how often would you honestly use the thing? Would it really be worth 800 smacks that could otherwise go toward a piece of equipment that would be used much more frequently?

I'd love to try one out, but I wouldn't pay more than 1/4 of that price for one, if that.

Also, I'm not convinced it would resonate well enough, amplified or acoustic, to really stand out.
  8. Wouldnt that thumb rest stop the head from vibrating, therefor making it quieter?
  9. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I played one couldnt see how it would ever be useful
  10. Basho

Basho Guest

I know that Victor Wooten has a Nechville "banjo bass" which I would assume is the same idea.
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Wouldn't this just be a bass banjo?
  12. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I just so happen to own something similar.....

13. I bet that is cheaper and sounds better too
  14. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Lets not forget about Les Claypool, he has a goldtone actualy (I think...) He used it on the brown album...

15. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    This makes me think "no sustain". It probably sounds fine with a mike right in front of the head, but with no resonant chamber I wouldn't expect much bass response beyond that.