The Bass Brace

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by elbass, Jun 17, 2003.

1. elbass

Aug 6, 2001
    San Antonio TX
    Check out this product that showed up in the latest BP:

It's called the "Bass Brace." It's a belt designed help take some of the weight off the shoulder and put it on the hips. I've had my share of shoulder and hand pain over the years, and this looks interesting. Anybody have any thoughts about (or experience with) this product?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm sure JT would appreciate that for his double neck.

I wish they had more pictures on that site, that one picture they have doesn't let you really see what's up.
  3. elbass

Aug 6, 2001
    San Antonio TX
    If you look at the PDF brochoure on the site it has some more detailed pix of tthe wear of the belt. I'm a little unsure of where exactly you would install the additional strap button.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'd image that in order for the weight to be held up by your hips, the strap button would probably have to be on the back of the bass body just below the Brace. Not worth it to me; I'd rather try one of those double-shouldered Slider straps or something before putting an extra hole in my bass.
  5. But I thought Paul Schaefer was a keyboardist:confused:
  6. I just ordered one of these to help ease my love/hate relationship with my Thumb Bass. I also ordered a Comfort-Strap at the same time. I'll try the comfort strap first.

I moved the upper strap button to the back of the lower horn which helps with the neck-dive issue but dosen't help with the weight on my shoulder. I also use a "Bass Extender" upper strap button extension to shift the bass back a little and help with the reach to the first fret. I like using this better than the button on the lower horn. After having seen the Ad for the Bass Brace, I hooked the lower strap button over the top of my leather belt with good results. If the Bass Brace works the way I hope it does I'll be a happy guy.

Moved Button:

Upper button extender: (It's actualy VERY sturdy)
  7. jellybassbeans

jellybassbeans Guest

Mar 19, 2004
    Hello - I'm new here. I've been looking around on some of the bass forums for here, and elsewhere, for some info on health issues, on account of my own pinched shoulder nerve thing I got/had going on. I actually have tried the BassBrace, and I really like it. It puts all my bass weight on my hips, and there's hardly anything on my shoulder now. It feels really comfortable, and the burning pain and cramping going down my left arm and into my pinky is now history. I've also been involved in swimming, and regular massage (I play 7 days a week on my cruise ship gig), all of which seems to help. Anyway, several thumbs up for the BassBrace. Oh, the extra strap pin goes down on the very bottom plane of the bass. I actually didn't use the strap pin that came with it; I had a dunlop flush mount straplock put down there instead.
  8. Jay Gee

Jay Gee

Apr 1, 2006
    Anyone have one of these Bass Braces? I can't find the company, so I think they went out of business. Would anyone be willing to send a photo of your Bass Brace and how it hooks on to the bass? I thought I might be able to make one of my own.

9. A.Denis

May 28, 2006
    well same request here,
    is this product still available?
  10. you guys know you can take two straps wear them at once and move the wieght evenly over both shoulders? Mr Manring showed this to a group of us at Bass Bootcamp and it works better than the gel pads and cushins Ive put on to straps in the past.