Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The bass case smell

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gord, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hey guys,
    I just bought a new guitar case today. MMM-MM! I love that smell. I have one at home but it's a much different smell, both are absolutally incredible. It's a SKB case, I don't know what they make their smells with but I love it so much. HOORAY FOR BASS CASE SMELL

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i agree. even after nine years my main case still smells like that.

i even like the smell of the carpeting on my Aguilars.

3. Hear, hear! Three cheers for bass cass smell.

4. i bet this is how the government do their brainwashing... :ninja:

hey.. what the f..ARGH!!
    :help:

5. My friend had an Ibanez case that had this sweet, chocolatey type scent, it passed on to the geetar as well, yes, very nice smell. Is that what you're referring?

6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    My skb kinda smells like vaseline, in a good way(weird, I know). It's strange, definitely.

7. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    haha I like the describing of smells, I can't even begin to describe mine. It just smells like memories I have of my friends bass case. Weird? yes.. best smell on earth? ..yes

8. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST MY CASE! HOORAY FOR BASS CASE SMELL!!!!!

:hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :hyper:

9. My guitar case used to smell like that too... unfortunately I had the bright idea of sanding the guitar down and giving it a laquer coating, and now it smells of... laquer... DOH!

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    All of my cases are soft ones, and don't have a smell.

I feel left out. :(

;)

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I recently got an MTD case, that was perfumed to the max. I don't know whether it was Mike that did that, but it's very unpleasant. Someone put some talcum powder or something in there I don't know. Every time I open it up, I want to sneeze. I'd greatly prefer the smell of fresh ash and newborn felt and leather. That sneezy stuff is really getting on my nerves. :D

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The Ibanez case that came with my '91 RG570 still smelled new until Northwest Airlines destroyed it last year.

The P-Case still smells like polyurethane/guitar finish. That's cool.

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    It's what's known as "Rick-O-Smell", in regards to Rickenbacker instrument cases.

My Rick is about 13 years old and its case still has a bit of that Rick-O-Smell to it!

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've experienced a few "stanky" cases over the years, ones that don't smell interesting, just plain SMELL.

Once I had a pickup truck, and I propped a case open in the back (anchored down, of course), and drove around for a few hours. That aired the sucker out!

If I smelled a case that had a strong perfume odor, I'd be concerned that it was put there on purpose, to cover up something like a smell left from a dead cat or something . . .

15. greenfrog5

greenfrog5

May 9, 2005
    I have a SKB Freedom case that came with my used Spector Q5 - reminicent of a smoked vanilla (kind of like vanilla insence). Anybody know if this aroma is 'original'? Is there a serial number i can check or something ? :)

Aaron

16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Oh god, mine smells awful! My bass teacher returned a case because it smelled like that!

17. Mine smells pretty funky. And not in a good way.

18. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My old guitarists' cat would always sleep in one of my cases. It's been over a decade, and there's still some random bits of cat hair in it that refuses to come out. That cat's probably dead by now. I could take one of its hairs and clone that cat I suppose, and present it as a gift to him.

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My late step-dad used to play Saxaphone. His case smelled bad, is it called campfer? Or whatever it is one puts in those reed cases to keep the moisture out. Yeech!