1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

**The Bass Case Thread**

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fine Cut, Sep 10, 2008.

1. I've been playing out for almost 4 years now, and i've always used gig bags. usually, I go for the heavier padded gig bags, the flimsy thin canvas ones are just absolutly pointless to me (as this thread my be lol). This past weekend, i picked up a '94 Fender P which came with a hard case. I'd been "meaning" to get a hard case for my Jazz bass for a while, but the P bass having a hard case gives me more of an incentive to replace my jazz's padded gig bag. I'm thinkin about a tweed musicians gear case from MF.

What kind of cases do you guys use? or do you use gig bags, if so, reason? maybe some of you have custom-made cases...

Lets see how you guys (and gals) take care of your babies!

2. Weel, most of the time just padded gigbags, but some of my beauties only leave the house in a case: my 70's rickcopy, the italia mondial (i just don't trust that 'acoustiglass') and my peavey t-40 (just because i have the original case :D)

3. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    i use a cheap fender tweed-look gigbag for my jazz basses, and my roscoe has a vintage-style hardcase...

i will most likely have a nice padded gigbag made for my roscoe as i much prefer a soft bag to a hardcase just because it's more comfortable to carry, easier to pack, less bulky and less wear on what it's next to in my vehicle (ie, the hard case requires either padding around it or that it be placed away from my cabs to keep from rubbing them and marking them up in the car)

a soft bag is quite sufficient in terms of protection for my needs...if i were packing my instrument in a trailer, i'd use an ATA flightcase

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    99% of the time I use gig bags. I have tendonitis in my wrists, and a case concentrates weight on a very small area, it's terrible for my tendonitis to carry a case. A gig bag I can throw over my shoulder. However, I have cases for most of my basses. If I'm going on a long trip where they'll be in a hot (or cold) car for a long time, I'll use the cases. If I'm dropping them off at the dealer for work of some kind I'll bring the case as well.

My Tacoma Thunderchief has a strap attachment on the hard case so I can carry it around like a Cello (if you've ever seen someone carrying a cello in a hard case they usually have a big strap over the shoulder). I use the gig bag on that also though most of the time.

5. Like mentioned above, my use of a case depends on the situation. I have 2 Gator cases. I forget the model, but they were around 90 bucks. They come with a warranty and get the job done.

6. yea, i agree the gig bag can be easier to pack and carry. personally, i'd prefer the cases because i want the most protection possible. id rather budget money to protect my basses than to fix them if something gets slammed on them. we also pack our equipment in a trailer from time to time, so yea...

Keep em' Comin!

7. Generally, if I'm going to a gig or something at a birthday party, or to a friend's for practice, it's gig bags all the way. I only have one case, and I only use it for long trips. It's too heavy to carry around, lol. But, being that it's a Coffin Case(black leather outer, black plushy velvet inner), and it came with my Epiphone Goth Thunderbird, it fits all of my basses but the hollowbody and the acoustic. :smug:

8. taterlog

taterlog Guest

Jan 4, 2008
    Mississippi
    I use a mono gig bag for local/regional gigs - a majority of what I do. The only time I don't use a gig bag is when checking a bass when flying or shipping a bass. I use a flight case for that stuff a few times a year.

The mono bags are hybrids - tough cases but still a bit flexible... I hadn't put it through the surenuff ringer yet but it's holding its own so far.

9. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i have two gig bags around for light travel (to and from rehearsal, for instance) and two or three hard cases for certain basses ('68 jazz goes in its case more often than not) and for gigs when the van is packed full with the whole band's gear as well as mine.

i like to have both around. certain situations dictate which option i'll go with.

i like the fender G&G cases quite a bit. they're very durable and classy. my '68 jazz didn't come with its original case, but the dude who sold it to me gave me a yamaha tolex case that's very well made and fits it perfectly. and... it says "yamaha" on it, which could potentially stave off the theft of an instrument which, to me, is priceless.

the SKB-style molded plastic cases are cool, and their lighter weight appeals to me... i think i have one, and i might get another soon.

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    My favorite is the InCase Slimbag. They stopped making them for a while but I think they started again recently...:confused:

These are *really* nice bags with a lot of storage. Way more convenient than a hard case but still much more protection than a typical gigbag.

BTW: shouldn't this thead be posted in the accessories forum?

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I use hard cases. More of a hassle, but I'm pretty obsessed with taking good care of my gear and don't want to have to worry about it.

OTOH, I've been eyeing some of those incase bags for a long time. They seem to provide excellent protection I could be comfortable with. Spendy though.

FWIW, one of my Reverends was shipped in a gig bag and packed very well, but something with a corner hit the box hard enough during shipping to put a nasty gouge in the fretboard despite all the padding and the bag. Accidents do happen.

12. Tamochantern

Tamochantern

Apr 20, 2006
    Decatur, MS
    I usually just use hardcases, but I have discovered the beauty of a gig bag as of late. Now I haul my cheapo basses in a gig bag but my nicer basses stay in a case.

As far as brands, I usually just get a case that comes with my bass. Mostly Fenders, a couple of Peaveys, and I do have an SKB for Jazz V.

13. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I've always been squeamish about relying on gig bags alone, although I see a lot of pro players doing just that. I tote all of mine in cases, even though it is sometimes a pain.

I have a couple in Gator and Gator-style cases that have a shoulder strap, which helps.

I bought one of the MF tweed cases for an acoustic guitar. It was very nice and a tremendous bargain, IMO. I was surprised at the quality of it.

CAVEAT: I have never used one of the really high quality gig bags. One of those might change my mind. But I usually have kids helping with my stuff, so I feel better about the added security.

P.S. I keep my best basses in TKLs and SKBs.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I don't 'tour' I do local gigs and jams, so a bag suits me and my basses. A double bag actually.

probag_leather_double_bass_bag%20030.

probag_leather_double_bass_bag%20032.

probag_leather_double_bass_bag%20014.

15. i've seen a few of those double bags, but i'm not sure i could sit easy on the idea of my basses setting on one another lol, tho i'm sure they'd be protected. plus, i like having seperate cases, cuz whichever bass i'm using usually lays in the case rather than resting on a stand when im not playing it.

16. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I've settled on using my 2 G&G hard luggage type cases for storage and my Levy's CM19L Cordura with leather trim gig bag for hauling around town. I find that any well designed/made bag with enough padding will be the most practical method of transporting my basses, unless of course you are talking about being on the road in which case an anvil type case is the best insurance against damage.

George

17. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I usually use hardcases, my local music shop sells mainly access cases so as of right now thats what two of them are, I drive a pickup truck and like being able to through my gear in the back of the truck (unless its raining that is)... When I ordered my sx i got one of the rondo hard cases, but it is really cheap and flimsy... Lately Ive been wanting a double gig bag though...

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I always use a hard case. All my current basses came with a hard case, the last bass I bought that didn't, (Geddy Jazz), I immediately bought one for it. I like convienence, but my basses travel in a hard case, as god intended.

19. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Dude, you really should get one. IMO, you will love it! Well worth.:bassist:

20. I use cases for 3 of my basses, '08' MIA Jazz V, Carvin LB75AP Anniversary, and Ibanez BTB405QM. The Jazz and the Carvin are both way to nice to put in a gig bag. I like the piece of mind knowing that they both have a little extra protection. The Ibanez has had it's share to use and abuse so I don't worry about it too much.

Now as far as my Squier FVM Fretless it's in an inexpensive Fender gig bag. I mean I paid less the $300 for the bass so I've really not got alot invested.:)

BTW JH, that's one real nice gig bag, I must say.