1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

**The Bass Case Thread**

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fine Cut, Sep 10, 2008.

1. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

A hard case is a good idea. But I'd stay away from the MF cases.

I had a Musician's Gear hard case for my P-bass and the first time I took it out of the house the handle fell off the case and it went crashing to the ground. Thankfully my P-bass survived.

If you want a hard case, go for something built better. Also, look into a soft/hard case like the ones from Gator and others. They re a good compromise between an hardshell case and a gig bag.

2. yea, i've been reading alot of reviews and it seems the majority of reviewers wouldnt buy again. maybe i can check a couple out at a couple local shops tomorrow

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Thanks, a 7 string Worker Bee from Bee Basses and a 6 string 51 series from Benavente survive trips in it regularly. While my Benavente shipped to me in a 'soft case' (sorta rigid rectangular nylon bag / case hybrid), my Bee came to me in a regular 'Roadrunner' brand gig bag. Both basses are well constructed tools that have yet to show adverse effects from the lack of hard cases.

Actually, the hard case my old 5 string Benavente shipped in shattered inside and along with a 'slight' scuff mark, it shifted the neck in it's pocket :eek:

Anyway, my bag is from www.probag-net.com

4. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    Anvil.

5. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    G@G cases for me. So nice, and very solid.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I know. I probably will one day.

But I also love bringing in a black/white Reverend teardrop case when I go to a gig. Looks so freakin' cool. :cool:

7. In use gigbags for 90% of the time (going to reharsals and local/regional gigs using my own car). I prefer to carry my bass on my shoulder and have my hands free to transport everything else or just open the doors ...
    And I didn't had to buy a gigbag for each of my basses, because each bass came with it's original gigbag (except the G&L that came with a case, so I bought a fender deluxe gigbag for it)

In case of travelling with all the band's gear bulked in one truck, I will use either the SKB-style molded plastic case that came with my G&L (my other basses fit in this case), and/or a borrowed Rockcase softcase ... I just hate wood hardcase, I don't get the point in using a case that is sometimes heavier than the bass itself and will destroy my arm and shoulder if I have to carry it !! Bass gear tends to be on the heavier side, why adding some more weight ?

8. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    My 60th Ann. Fender Case, which comes with the 60th Ann. MIA P-Bass.

In this pic its my other MIA blondie P.

n712890503_1824164_7325.

9. I recommend hard cases. Im sure bags do a decent enough job, but I need piece of mind with that extra protection. Anything can happen that a bag may not be able to withstand. I dont mind the little extra weight.

10. my cello case has wheels:bassist:

11. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    I have two cases... one no named one, nice case nothing special and a hiscox, great case!!

and a couple of gig bags, which a hardly use at all, just collecting dust...

12. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    i use a coffing case personally which i use to transport whatever bass out of the house other than that i got a few gig bags a Fender one and a APE one

13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I'm in the process of making one for my 6, as soon as it comes back from being finished, I'll have it fit and then complete it.
    Everyone thinks it'll weigh a ton, but it does not (It will be weighed once completed.
    instrumentcasere-top4006.
    instrumentcasere-top4007.

Case Build thread

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have hard cases for my two fenders, the original case for the jazz and an 80's style fender case for the P, but outside of that I don't have hard cases anymore. I tend to have a specific case for each bass, but as I've sold down some of my basses the cases have gone with them because the wont fit other basses so now I'm down to just those two. I've also started using only gig bags because I often have a heavy load to carry (with my pedal board) and don't want to add to that with a couple bass cases. OTOH, I was a bit more comfortable transporting multiple basses to gigs when they were in hard cases, but I guess you sacrifice a little security for portability.

15. I use hard shell cases or anvil type cases. Once you have driven over a hard shell case with your truck and your Ric survives you will never doubt which to use again........:bag:

16. I NEVER use a gig bag, nor would I ever use one. "S**t happens" on the road---and it only needs to be once with a gig bag. A hard case is like having an insurance policy.

17. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I've been using the Sadowsky Portabag since it came out a couple years ago - IMO the best bag/case ever! Before the Portabag I had a Reunion Blues leather bag, and I've also had the original InCase Slim Bag.

18. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    I currently use two hiscox hard cases, but have another bass on the way, need a new case, but not necessarily another hard for the van (bass will replace one of my others for gigging), but need a soft case for carrying it round uni. Am looking at a tkl 5436. anyone had any experience with these?

19. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I think I might own more cases than I do basses! Let's see, in no particular order I've got:

- a standard generic rectangular plywood hardshell case (pretty sure it was made by Ibanez) that fits my Modulus, my Schecter, my custom 8-string, and that I also used for about a half dozen other basses that I no longer own.

- a Fender form-fit molded plastic hardshell case that fits my Schecter & my custom 8-string.

- an Anvil heavy-duty ATA series flight case custom built for my Modulus.

- the original stock Steinberger gig bag that came with my L-2.

- a ProTec Contego "hybrid" case (semi-hard gig bag)

- a Ken Smith gig bag, custom modified with 2.5" foam

- a Mooradian double gig bag

- a no-name generic gig bag

The hard cases I only use when I'm on tour. There's absolutely no reason for me to drag those around when I'm doing local gigs; if I'm carrying my own gear, I trust myself (and my gig bags) to keep the basses as protected as they ever need to be. (And, except for the Anvil, I seriously don't think my hardshell cases offer as much protection as my gig bags.) Hardshell cases are much less convenient, harder to carry through a revolving door, harder to fit in the front seat of a sports car, harder to bring on the subway...

20. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I have hard cases for most of my basses, and all other things being equal, I tend to use them. I have a couple bags and depending on where and how I'm traveling, and how much other gear I'm bringing, I might throw one of my basses in a bag, but for many years I only had a bag for my main P-bass and it got pretty dinged up, so I prefer to have a case unless there's a compelling reason not to. I have mostly old-school equipment so the bass, even in a hard case, is far and away the lightest, most portable thing I've got, and the marginal effort of moving it is negligible, whether in a case or in a bag.

By keeping my eyes open on craigslist and eBay I've managed to find a couple pretty nice SKB cases for not that much money---comparably priced to many lesser cases or even high-end bags. The local Music-Go-Round tends to have some nice cases for pretty cheap, too.