1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Bass Co AP-400MJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fish man, Mar 21, 2006.

1. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    So. Is there anyone who owns the m/j model, or has given it a real good thorough playing? I'm in Canada, so it would end up not being that much cheaper than, say a MM SUB, but I'd love the versatility of another pup, and the superduper factor of chambered-ness and string-through. And it would be my main bass, so top-notch quality is important too. Plus I like supporting smaller manufacturers.
    So I'm basically sold, but I need to know about tone. Is the humbucker in the right spot, does it have a nice growly 'ray-esque tone? I completely don't mind if it doesn't perfectly replicate it, but as long as it's got the fierce. And I need to know about playability. I like 'em slim and quick, and the width matches the sterling, which is just about perfect for me. In terms of the fret-to-back dimension of the neck, its probably close enough for me, but I'd like to hear from someone.
    Nextly, I'm slightly concerned about being able to read the inlay in poor light. I guess that sounds stupid. Well I'm concerned anyways. Also how is balance. It seems like it would be a little neck-heavy. Again, minor concern...

Hmm. I guess thats all I'm curious about at the moment, but I'm sure other things will pop up sooner or later.

thx

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  3. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah I meant to mention that... I posted in that thread, but it was near the end, so it would have been basically impossible for someone to notice a new post and reply. So I tried my luck with a new thread. Things go so fast on this forum that anything you say need to get noticed in a couple hours or else it gets displaced to the 2nd page. There was someone in there who had bought one, but the review didn't really answer my questions.

thanks though

4. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmm. I'm just going to bump this once again, and after trying out some SUBs today, I need to know how contoured the TBC bodies are. The SUB is a plank. No fun to play sitting down. :(

There must be someone with one of these fishes at home, right?

thanks again