Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bass Company, anyone ever try one of these axes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Howdy,

I was at a Daddy's Junky Music shop in Hartford, CT and came across a few Music Men type basses built by The Bass Company. These basses had a basic Precision style body (my guess, alder) but had either one or two MM style pickups. I was short on time, so I didn't really get to sample them, but they seemed like pretty good basses.

Now get this, these basses were in the neighborhood of $400-$500 despite being built in California. Given the hardware, pickups, overall quality, and the fact it US made, I couldn't believe the price.

No one at Daddy's Music seemed to know anything about these basses; so I did a little investigating.

The builder is in California and used to work with Peavey. He builds the basses himself. I think the prices are low do to the components. I don't know about the bodies or hardware, but he did mention the pickups are made in Korea. My guess is that the other components are imported as well though I don't know for sure.

His website isn't up and running yet, so I can't embed a link.

My question is has anyone else checked out these basses. Does anyone else own one? What's yr take on them? Anyone have any more insider info on these axes?

Overall, these basses seem like sweet deals and the guy who builds them seems like a pretty good stand up guy (got his tele# via my little investigation!). However, I'd like input from someone not affiliated with the company who’s actually tried them out.

Thanks,
    Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.