Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bass company bass's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M J Stevens, Nov 5, 2000.

1. M J Stevens

M J Stevens

Nov 5, 2000

Does anyone have any input on The Bass co. bass's . They're logo is TBC . I've been looking at them in a local store and are quit nice. The company is very small and dos'nt put many out. The bass's are hand built, they do
    they're own electrionics, bodys, necks in a shop in Calif.
    The prices are around $ 800-1000. Any thoughts?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to the board, MJ

My understanding is that the bass company will be the manufacturer of the Brian Bromberg bass model, formerly known as the B-quad 4 and amnufactured by Peavey. I've never seen one, though.

Any relation to T.M. Stevens?

Will C.:cool:

3. M J Stevens

M J Stevens

Nov 5, 2000
    Hi Big Wheel,
    no relation to T Stevens, thanks for the input. I may have a trade going on for this bass but need some help for my reservations about resale ect. I have a Ibanez SR406 with EMG's and preamp that I like, but 6 string is overkill for me and this bass is a 5 string which I'am moving towards.
    Thanks again

4. M J Stevens

M J Stevens

Nov 5, 2000
    Update on TBC ( The Bass Co. ) that I had been looking at for a trade. I passed on this bass! After looking closely at the neck it had some very high frets down at #2&3, what looks like a warp in the middle, fretends sticking out past the fretboard (could be from shrinkage). The is a handbuilt bass made in Calif. I called TBC for three days to see if they wanted to look at or solve this neck problem, no answer so I left three messages, no return call. Very odd for a company trying to compete in this price range ($800) and talk up the (we are small dedicated to quality) company.
    Sooooo, I bought a MTD beast (pearl red with maple fretboard)and could'nt be happier. This thing plays so smooth and sounds wonderful with very little setup. Definetly check these out. 5 string sell for about $800-900.

Later

5. SDChiang

SDChiang

May 22, 2002
    The Bass Company (TBC) has apparently tried to revamp, using LightWave electronics. (Note that this is the company that is home-based in Santa Ana or Whittier CA.) I have never played one myself, but I heard that the product is *very* questionably (bad scale lengths, bad contruction, bad finishing) and expensive for a bolt on ($1400 - $1700 range). There is also some question of ethics, but I can't confirm. I was at a friend's place last month, and he showed me a web site that had alot of negative things to say. If I can get the adress I'll come back and post it.

-Simon

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The founder of TBC is a former employee of Peavey,and they are not making the bass for Bromberg.that has been made by Dean and its his Signiture model.I've played it and its not a bad bass.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thank you for the correction Jaquo. I'd just like to point out that the whole Bromberg/Dean info wasn't available when I posted the first reply (over two years ago)

Jeez, some of these threads are getting OLD!:D

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The TBC bass seem to be a pretty descent bass,plus its a young company with a few minor snags,and it being a tiny co. will be worked out in time. we all have to start
    somewhere.

p.s.
    thank you Big Wheel,Your welcome,and I understand the post being over a year old.