The Bass from Outer Space?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexisApple, Jul 16, 2005.

1. AlexisApple

Jul 16, 2005
    Hi folks, this is my first here and believe me its a strange one!

I picked this Bass up from the UK distributor of Takamine guitars, he bought it at a trade fair in frankfurt. The comapny who made it are a Korean firm going by the name EST...

its a beautiful thing! a work of art!

check out the piccys at:

its a bit of an enigma, if any of you folks know anything about the thing or the company please let me know!!

if you'd like more pictures please feel free to email me at

cheers all!!

2. I'm sorry but that to my eyes headstock is just... really unattractive...

gorgeous top though
  3. AlexisApple

Jul 16, 2005
    the headstock itself is really good to use though, when you've got it on a strap and your tuning it (once you know which does what) it seems strangly natural. but I'm damned if I can find out a single bloody thing about the makers, all I know is they were Korean and called EST, google is hopeless! :'(
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

(no offense . . .) ;)
  5. looks like a paddle :p
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I dig the head stock despite how weird it looks. Reminds me of how the DB tuning machines are aligned.

That's all
  7. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ya' know, he really didn't ask for an opinion on how it looked. He asked if anyone knew anything about it.
    I remember seeing it in some tradeshow pics about a year or two, ago. I believe I saw them here.
  8. I dig it!!!! How does it sound/play?
  9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hope you geta custom case or gigbag with it...
  10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I remember seeing that same bass on eBay a few weeks ago. The headstock and body apart look great, but a Jazz body needs that 4 to a side headstock IMO. Couldn't tell ya anything about the company though.
  11. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    thats a beautiful bass
    excluding the headstock like everyone has said

love the fretboard styling though, and the quilt on the
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

That headstock would go better on an upright. That kind of fretboard should be used more often.
  13. I've been looking around in Korean google for a while but still can't find anything about that particular company. They aren't even sold in Korean web shops I visited. Sorry for not being any help.
  14. AlexisApple

Jul 16, 2005
    I think I may have found a bit of a "lead" on its origin...

I've been chatting to some folk "in the industry" and apparently a lot of hi-end manufacturers have tha majority of their construction carried out by "ghostbuilders" for there signature or special models, It turns out that this beasty was a "showcase" guitar by one of these folks!

So its a rare bird indeed, apparently the "EST" brand doesnt (or may not) even exist but is just a badge cooked up to show the capibilitys of branding, I suppose that would explane the lack of references anywhere.

Now onto the sound, well its been called a Jazz bass by a few guitar shopkeepers but they never plugged the thing in! I find it can handle pretty much any style, the pick ups have a volume control each and there a single tone control, using them inconjunction you can dial in a very wide range of sounds.
    The jack socket is a kind of electroplated thing that says quality, I've no idea what flavour the pick ups are but most the muso's I've let look at it have all insisted they are some classy pups!

the body of the thing has a raised "central" section like on the Gibson Firebird Bass so it feels good with your right hand, the left hand could get a tad freeked out by the nut as its only about 3.2 cm wide!! the frets are pretty standard thickness erring on the fat, the neck is thick enough to provide a feeling of solidity and its all beautifully balanced.

I'll quote Hunter S thompson...

"one of gods own prototypes, to weird to live, to rare to die" :D :D :D

christ knows what price I'd put on it :meh:
  15. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    dude that thing looks sweet good buy
  16. Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    I love the break-angle of the g at the headstock.
  17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Very bad idea. Should be hell to tune because of it. Likewise, the E has such an angle that is is visibly stiff over the nut, taking off at an angle away from the fretboard as it approaches the first fret, and will have intonation problems because of it.

I do remember pics from whatever show it was, about a year ago.There were a whole bunch of these, it wasn't just one instrument.
  18. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Correct, I saw several in pics from musikmesse last year, taken by JP i think. not that a "rare bird" but prolly a small builder without a website yet.
  19. Bad headstock design...too much break over the nut...and just too elaborate for practice...and forget that spoonbill thing on the end.

Steve Wishnevsky's headstock design, if cleaned up by "real" woodworkers is a much better option for rear-facing tuners than this one.
  20. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    yea I know give the guy a break :meh: some welcome...