Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bass graveyard, (Post pics of basses ruined by modifications)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Every once in a while, we come across a bass that was unfortunate enough to fall in the hands of someone who felt the need to "customize" it in a way that basically ruined the instrument. Let's see some pics of these poor basses...

Here's one currently for sale at Elderly Instruments. Price: $395.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ouch :crying: ....

Here's one IMHO :D........

[​IMG]

3. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Must be missing something here, Fixer - is it the color? What?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't try this at home, skateboarders!........

[​IMG]

5. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Have you got it already?

6. That grabber is hideious :(

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It would actually be more of a color thing if it was the "passion pink" model. To me it's a jazz with a P pickup in it. Also the fact that a "punk" bass player plays pink and baby blue instruments :rolleyes: . How innovating I hope. Like I said just my opinion. Truth be told I was half joking, only half though :D.

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    A Classic Example
    [​IMG]

Beginning in 1979, many a P-Bass (contempory & many older Basses)
    went under the saw for the ever popular DiMarzio bridge pup modification.
    Often frets would be ripped out and replaced by epoxy.
    It was the poor P-Bass owners way of going 'Jaco.'

Yes, they were white.
    And stood out like a sore thumb.
    Many were 'home fitted,' and thus the pup was often seen misplaced or crooked.

Jaco's influence is directly responsible for the destruction of
    more (now) vintage P's then any other idea in history.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    [​IMG]

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

I'm not sure how many of you guys will remember them, but Devo's bassist, Gerald Casale, used a Gibson modified exactly like this for a while. If I remember correctly, it was prior to the big breakthrough they had with "Whip It". He later went over to a Steinberger, amongst other things.

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Fender Stu Hamm Urge II Basses

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ok, bad example. Out of all mutilated basses I've seen, this Gibson's not so bad. Still, it reminds me of a Vox bass sporting a woody and that's not good.

Long time no see, Bassausie! how's it goin'?

13. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaagh!!! (averts eyes in horror)

I just hope that was a Spirit and not one of the better composite instruments . . . .

14. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    I actually kind of like that Gibson. I don't know why, but i just gotta say it. :hyper:

15. My perenial project:

[​IMG]

It doesn't look that bad I guess, but you can see the p route and the holes left from the funky soap bars originally in it. It no longer has anything original save the body, control plate and pickguard. Sounded terrible. It has a bad black refin done over the original sunburst. It cost me $89 new in 1976. Little did I know that had I found a used p-bass for $150 back then that I could sell it for $1000 today. ooops.

I took the neck off and it's now on a p-bass body, I'm gonna take it off again and put it on a different Jazz body (someday). I'm always tinkering.

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

kmacleish,

Actually that was one of those "Hohners" (officially licensed crappers)It is a B2FL, if that means anything. I have it on my past gear pics on my website, but I still own this eyesore.... and no I'm not bringing it to the Atlanta Get-together on March 21st.

:spit:

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No pics, but years ago when I was in highschool, I ruined a perfectly good Rickenbacker 4003 bass by having a Kahler whammy bar bridge installed. They had to slightly route the body to get it to sit low enough, and had to cut some black pickguard material to surround it with to cover up the exposed hole left by the original bridge. Black plastic on a dark cherry colored bass. It would never stay in tune with that bridge, and broke strings like crazy. One of the worst things I ever did.

18. (((((shudders in horror, imagining the sound of a router bit chewing into the Ric)))) :meh:

I had a mint 4001 and never modified it, but was dumb enough to sell it. :meh:

19. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think it's beatiful! You took two old worn out instruments and made a masterpiece, do you gig with it?

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I resent that.. my Hohner is quite nice.