Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Bass Grimwar? Or something like that

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aqueousillusion, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    Hey this guy told me to check out this book called "The Bass Grimwar" Or something like that, but I can't find it anywhere, has anyone else heard of it and know if its any good or not?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    What you are looking for is The Bass Grimoire by Adam Kadmon. It is published by Carl Fischer and you can normally find it at Guitar Center.

I have it and love it for practicing with. It covers every scale and mode. It also covers alot more including chords, intervals, etc.

Personally, if I had to choose just one book on bass this would be the one. Hope the info helps you!

3. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    In all seriousness. This book helped me out very little in terms of playing normal scales. But if you are going to go into the world of exotic scales this probably would be a good idea.

4. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hmm. It covers all the standard scales and all their modes. It does have some rather exotic scales but you never know when you might need one! :D

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Totally dissagree. This book is very complete. I found mine at "Borders" or "Barns and Noble" (Can't remember which).

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The multi volume OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY is very complete, too. Owning it won't turn you into a poet or writer.

If you are looking to become a deeper and more complete musician, I would start looking to find a good teacher who will give you a good foundation in musical fundamentals, instead of a book.

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I also have this book and I havent goten that much out of it I know a good amount of theory which I have learned from my teacher but alot of the stuff in this book kinda confuses me how they have it laid out , then again Im more of a vocal / visual learner so its better when I have someone speaking to me

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    wut ed sed

9. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I never needed a book to tell me a major or minor key. So I learned The sharps and flats in order and then never touched the book again.

10. It will help you check spelling and meaning which might be an aid when writing.

11. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

let me preface by saying I have never seen this book(bass grimoire).

That said, for those unable to afford quality lessons or for those unable to find an adequate teacher in their area, I would say a $20 book may be a good investment.

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Ahh yes. The complete picture.

13. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Just for the record, I never said a book would take the place of a good instructor. The Bass Grimoire is a tool and nothing more. Its not even meant for beginning players and it says so on the very first page.

Geez people , the original poster never even said he was looking for a book over an instructor. It amazes me that people can read so much into something so little. :rollno:

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yup.

15. Exactly !!

16. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005

Thanks a lot!

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It amazes me that people can't even (apparently) read what is spelled out in front of them. Without speculating on WATERVISION's reasons for wanting to know what this book was all about, I merely tendered a suggestion that IF he was concerned with becoming a deeper musician that a book was not as good as an actual human being. You could tell that was what I meant because that was the language I used.

What I didn't do was use language that implied that I was
    1. answering AI's question about what the BG was
    2. suggesting that he was in some way saying that it was better than having a teacher

The other thing that amazes me is that some folks have such a pre programmed response when they hear the word "teacher" that they go through all kinds of convolutions just so they can get bent out of shape by it.

18. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    You suggested that he get a teacher instead of a book. Now, I have no problem with the idea of someone getting a teacher, in fact, I feel it has improved my playing a great deal. I've just finished a H.Dip in bass guitar and will hopefully be carrying on to do a degree in music.

But if the guy is asking for more information on the Bass Grimoire there really isn't any need to say 'get a teacher instead'. It's a pretty snobbish attitude. I for one couldn't afford a teacher for the first three and a half years of my time playing bass and my parents refused to pay for or help me out with lessons.

In that situation, which I'm sure isn't that rare, a $20 book would have proved invaluable in filling some of the gaps in my musical knowledge. Aqueousillusion is, I assume, trying to gain a deeper understanding of music or he wouldn't be attempting to find out more about the book in question. There is no need to dismiss the book out of hand simply because it's not the ideal method to learn more about music.

Tom

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    No, I said (and I quote) "If you are looking to become a deeper and more complete musician..." which is not "Get a teacher instead" no matter HOW many times you read it (nor how much you want it to say that). Additionally the phrase is "I would..." not "You should..." or "You must..." or any other thing you seem to be reading.

I am additionally interested in learning how a person who suggests the course of action they woudl take were they in a similar situation is acting in a "snobbish" manner. Does the mere fact that they have a differing opinion make them a snob? If so, HOW? If you ask me, for instance, what the best way to drive from Vermont to Edinburgh would be, is it "snobbish" of me to try to inform you that driving from the US to Great Britian isn't going to be your best bet?

I have no more "dismissed...out of hand" the BASS GRIMOIRE than I have the OED. As KLee so rightly points out they are just tools. And just like going into Home Depot and buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter, getting a book full of scales doesn't unlock the skillsets you need to develop as a musician.

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, but if you don't have either, it's gonna be tough to build that Bass Armoire we're talking about.