1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Bass growl

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Greg vB, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Greg vB

Greg vB

Nov 25, 2018
    San Anselmo Ca
    Some Bassists get a really distictive Growl out of their instruments. I think it is a great sound. How is it produced? Is it the Bass? The amp? Low string position? The pick up?
    Curious.

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    In my experience, it's the strings. Perhaps others here have a different experience though.

3. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I'd say strings and height, but I have no idea what I'm doing with this stinking instrument.

4. Sharknose79

Sharknose79 UNPAID greenboy/fEARful endorser

Sep 15, 2011
    South Cackalacky
    I have nothing to disclose at this time.
    Brass nut....

5. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    This seems to be a mis-post on the Double Bass side. We get growls for different reasons.

6. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Hmmm, actually everything in the OP could also apply to double basses.

Seanto likes this.
  7. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Not really. The “growl” on the double bass is often dependent on string choice. Spirocores, for example, tend to be more growly (or “mwah”, as the terminology goes) than hybrid strings. But they’re more of a challenge to bow. Different set of considerations.

8. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Yes. I mentioned that same thing about string choices in the 2nd post... Maybe you're meaning that this is in contrast to electric basses, where maybe their choices of strings won't provide growl? If that is true, indeed I have no knowledge of electric basses...

From the OP:
    The way I have read that, it sounded like this post is about double basses. Maybe it could apply to both electric basses and double basses? At least my double bass has an amp, has possible low string position, has pickups.

:unsure:

9. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    You’re correct in that the terminology could apply to both. However, upright bassists rarely seek to add tone coloring in the amplification chain—the ideal tends to be MBOL, my bass only louder.

That, and the subsequent comment about a brass nut, led me to think the OP was referring to slabs.

However, his posting history seems to be focused on uprights, so YMMV.

dhergert likes this.
  10. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    String choice is part of the equation.
    But I think it has more to do with the scoop of the fingerboard. The growl is caused by contact between the FB and the resonating string. The FB can be dressed to emphasize or reduce that sound.

11. I agree. Arco specific strings don't growl much, but set up probably has at least as much to do with it as string type. And technique plays a part in the equation too.

12. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    On my bass, i didn't hear growling until I put SilverSlaps E and A on my bass. That is exclusively a string related growl, not including any bouncing against the fingerboard.

When I hit it hard, I can make the strings bounce against the fingerboard as I'm stopping them with my fingers. As has been mentioned, that's a setup and technique related noise. Personally, I don't really consider that growl though, it's string rattle to me.

In my experience, once you've heard strings that growl, you know you've got growl.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My take is that it’s intended as a DB forum thread. Since mini factors go into the creation of growl, I’ll move it to miscellaneous.

14. Technique is crucial. Try playing a note with tip of your finger and then with pad of your finger on E and A string. With pads, you should hear much more growling sound. Good setup surely is important.

Edit: thread about growl here.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  15. I'm in the string camp. My bass hums like a tuning fork with Spirocores. It growls like a grizzly in thick brush with Velvets.

RBrownBass and dhergert like this.