Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The bass hunt continues... Spector Euro 5 next on the checklist.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Jan 15, 2005.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hey folks,

After almost giving up hope on getting any bass at all, I have renewed my search and have found some interesting options.

I actually spent some time at Guitar Center of all places yesterday. The things that I tried there that caught my eye/ear were:

Schecter Stilleto Studio 4 $549.99
    Schecter Stilleto Deluxe 4 $349.99
    Peavey Fury IV (used) $499
    Ibanez BTB406QH-TK $669.99

I had been hearing about the BTB series, and even though it was a 6'er I picked it up and was pleased with it. I had always assumed that a 6 would be too much for me to handle, but it was surprisingly comfortable. I may have to consider a 6 down the road, but now I know I'd be interested in the 405 at a good price. I'm really trying to keep things at around $500 or less, depending on the bang-for-the-buck. The Fury IV sounded surprisingly nice, but if I'm gonna spend that much for a used one I might as well get an MTD Kingston for around $530 at a shop that I've visited previously.

Now the point of this thread...

I just looked up a local shop that I have visited before, and found this used Spector Euro 5 going for $549. I know that at that price I can the aformentioned Kingston, and I have already tried it at the same shop and really liked the feel and sound. The Kingston sound really fits the type of music that I'll be playing (gospel/jazz). So with that in mind, how would this Euro5 compare to the Kingston as far as sound/tone? Is that a good price on the Euro? At that price point, would a used Euro5 have the same or more value than the new Kingston?

I plan on going up there Monday to check it out first hand, and since that's where I checked out the Kingston I can take my time and compare them both... but I'd kinda like to know what to look for in advance.

Whaddaya think?

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I can't offer to much advice on how the Spector Euro's compre to the Kingston. But, I can tell you that a Spector Euro is about the most versatile bass you can get for the money. That price is a STEAL! In fact it's so low, I would be inclined to make sure there's nothing wrong with it.

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    That's the same as my Euro 5 LX - it's an older SSD model. Awesome, awesome bass. OK, it's missing the fancy maple tops and crown inlays of the newer Euros and USA models, but it still has the same knockout sound and feel. And I think the 34" scale actually feels better than the 35" of the newer Euros and still retains a great B string sound.

Buy! Buy! Buy! :D

Russ :bassist:

4. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    "This bass has player wear, some finish marks and a small non-structural crack between the controls. Call with any questions!"

I'd ask for some more pics of that crack as that seems to be the only bad thing going for it.

5. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    No need for that, I'm going to go ahead and go there today. I'll let ya know how it works out.

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Sorry dude, but I have to correct you. Your Spector Euro-5 isn't an LX. Especially if it has the SSD logo. The LX was just introduced last year (2004)

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Did you get it yet? That's a really good price even for natural wear. I would be more concerned with structural damage, Like look to see if maybe it's been dropped. That is by far the LOWEST I've ever seen a used Euro-5. As long as it's still structurally sound you won't be dissapointed. Sure it has a few scratches, but it will have thunderous tone.

8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Oops... *blush* You're right.... it's just a Euro 5.

Here I am espousing Spectors and I'm getting the model names wrong... :scowl:

New Spector NS-5CRFM for me in a couple of weeks though! :D

Russ :bassist:

9. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nope, I won't be ready to buy for another month or so.

I did check it out though. The crack wasn't major, and there were some dings in it elsewhere. Pretty dusty/dirty too, especially around the pickups and in the bridge. No big deal to clean it up, but whoever had it last didn't seem to take the best care of it. I plugged it up and it sounded pretty good. The B wasn't as tight as I had hoped, quite rattly... perhaps it just needed some tweaking of the setup which I'm not experienced enough to do. Definitely a good option though.

Meanwhile, I took the opportunity to check out some other gear... I'm in total GAS mode over a Lakland 55-01 that the guy running the shop knocked down to $599 because of a minor crack in the finish. I love the way it feels and plays... it would stretch my budget, but it would be worth it! I thought it would be gone by now (it was there when I visited the shop several months ago), but if it has hung around this long then it'll be there for another month. We shall see...

10. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    BTW, the Kingston 5's that I saw at that shop for around $530 are gone... but he now has this Kingston in Red and Amber finishes going for $580. Also a good option, but at that price I might as well stretch that extra $20 or so for the Lakland 55-01.

I'll try to stop by again tomorrow with my camera and take some up close pics of the Euro 5 (the guy seems pretty cool, so he probably won't mind), so you guys could give me a better idea of how bad the dings are and if the Spector would still be a better deal.

11. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    OOPS! Being the nut that I am, I forgot that the place is closed today. I'll have make that picture trip tomorrow. While I'm at it I'll get pics of the others that I'm considering.

12. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well? what happened? it's been 3 days.

13. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I posted the pics and updates in this thread.