Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The bass in the new video of Dave Mathews

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I see the new video of Dave Mathews Band this morning in VH1 and i noticed the bassist have a good one,i think this bass was a Modulus Flea 4,anyone see that video can say if this is a Modulus Flea? the bass look just beautiful,anyone here has play this baby,how good is the sound in Flea Bass? bass central have one for only $1,300

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, it's a Modulus Flea.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    and you play or test one yet....... :confused:

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I think I played one for a bit in a store a while back. It was okay... Though if I remember correctly, I didn't really like the way the neck felt.

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    one of my friends says me how great this bass sound and fill,and my other friend tell me the same as you say,the grahipte neck,is not comfortable,but them both says the bass never get out of tune

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I've seen Stefan Lessard play live with DMB, and I think his sound gets lost most of the time, probably not the bass might be just his rig.

7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ya thats long gone!!! I CRYED :bawl: :spit:

i've seen him armed with 6-string neck thru thumbs??

and ya his tone is perfect to me!!!!!!!

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    He used to play Warwicks but switched over to Modulus I think he played a Dolphin too? Not sure.

9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    he played a Dolphin and Thumb

10. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004

I think this might be because they have so many things going on in their songs. Even more live than they do on the cds, because they have keys and extra backup singers. The bass in DMB isn't meant to stand out. He fills his role up great and is super solid.

It could have been a number of other things as well...venue..sound crew..etc..but I think a big part is that there is so much going on in their music.

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    that,s mean Flea bass is versatile..i think they use a Jazz bass or similar,maybe he use the bass only in the video for endorsement $$$ reasons.

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    When they were recording the latest album, DMB had a website up with video clips from the sessions. He had multiple Fleas in the studio.

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    they play a fussion type music,with a lot of jazz and blues,thats mean this bass is versatile,no question about,he is a very good bassist and he demand a good one,he fall in love with this Modulus,i love them too

14. This is correct. He also had the warwicks in there, but I don't believe he used them. He did however use an upright, as we saw in the 'making of' DVD that came with the CD if you preordered. I don't think the upright made it to the final cut though. But he's mostly 95% flea bass in the studio and live.

15. Yeah, the concert DVDs Ive seen, he only uses the Fleas.

16. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    He breaks out the 6 string thumb for "Two Step" live.And maybe a few other tunes