Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"The bass is not a chordal instrument"...

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...is a statement that does not, apparently, apply to Mike Downes!

Wow -- I saw him play in a duo setting with pianist Ron Davis today. Easily the best live jazz bass playing I've ever seen. This guy tears apart the instrument! He definitely went to the "Ray Brown School of Bass" when it comes to playing on a blues. Just an amazing, amazing technical facility, tone, and taste.

What was really surprising, and the cause of the thread title, was how the second set was introduced. Ron Davis did a solo piano version of (I think) Lush Life. This wasn't terribly unusual, as there's almost always at least one solo piano tune at these shindigs (this is in a series of concerts.) However, after that, Mike went up and did a solo double bass version of Alice in Wonderland! It was absolutely stunning. I have never in my life heard or seen the instrument played like this. It was absolutely mind-blowing and inspiring beyond anything I've ever seen.

Wow.

2. Mikes pretty heavy. You should check out his solo album if you can find it.