Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THE BASS ISN'T EASY!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Guss, Oct 12, 2002.

1. I'm starting to get really mad about people saying playing bass is easy, espacially those who don't even play music at all! Can someong please give me something smart to say when ever someone tells me this?:mad: :mad:

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Just tell them to listen to a Jaco, or Wooten solo. Or listen to an Incubus, 311, Mudvayne, etc song with amazing bass players. THEN ask them if they think bass is easy. :)

3. MuShRoOmhEaD

MuShRoOmhEaD

Oct 12, 2002
    um tell them listen to MudVaYne, and ****in TOOL, ah so much more

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Those people are just trying to get on your nerves. Don't sweat it.

5. such cranky wally you are.

RAP'S NOT MUSIC!

PEOPLE SUCK!

you make a good affirmative case for the administering of psychotrops to children.

6. I have yet to have someone come up to me and tell me that bass is easy. It helps to weigh 250 lbs., but being able to play a few good licks doesn't hurt either. It's easy to play a bass badly. It's a challenge to learn how to play it satisfactorily. Once you've learned, it's easy to play the bass. That's not to say it's easy to play like Wooten or Willis or Nitti, etc.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Why don't you ask a drummer? I'm sure they deal with idiots telling them that they aren't even musicians--maybe they've come up with some good responses...

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    How easy it is depends on how far you want to take it. For the most part, it is easy.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    another vote for the "Bass IS easy"

11. It s easy if you dont play anything difficult. Its only as difficult as you want to make it, and you can make it damn hard. Why would bass being easy make the bass a lesser instument then something like a guitar? Is a guitar harder to play and therefore better? I dont think so.

12. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

if you think its easy, you obviously arent progressing much

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    sometimes playing the bass is simple.... sometimes I want to throw it across the room! It's more like a relationship, with expected ups and downs...

P@

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Say "Thanks".

That's the smartest thing I can come up with. Let me know how it works out.

Oh yeah... and calm down.

After all, bass "is" easy, heck, even Pacman said so;). OTOH picking your nose is hard. Ever get one that's really up there and you just can't...

you get the idea, right?

Happy prospectin'

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Except for the throwing across the room part, I agree;)

16. I agree that bass is easy, that's why I've been gigging for 20 years or so. However, if you want to obtain a level of virtuosity, then it becomes as hard as any other instrument.
    I've heard that "bass is easy" stuff, and I disarm the utterer by agreeing totally with them.

17. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Bass is a fairly simple instrument. What makes it difficult is the theory and applying it to the bass while playing with others, or solo.

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hey! Was that a wise crack?!? :D

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm with Blackie Lawless... Bass is a tool of ignorance. It's so easy, all they do is follow the guitar and like... play an open E all the time... uhhhh.... sLIPkNot RUlZ!!!