1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Bass MuRF/MIDI MuRF sample thread.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkcicle, Jan 23, 2013.

1. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I wrote this on another forum a few months ago and came across it today, thought it would sit well with the TB crowd. I've been using the Moog Bass MuRF for several years now (I actually own SN #0001) but hadn't really applied it practically until the last year or so. The links below are to streams of the entire tracks, but compressed to 128kbps... if you'd like to hear the tracks in context and uncompressed I linked to the entire albums (which can be downloaded for free) at the end of the post. I'd love it if other people who have made recordings with their MuRFs would contribute to this thread as well.

1. ["Spooky Sexy"] I recommend headphones to really hear the nuance of the stereo "murf" effect. It's subtle, like a big viscous ocean gently rocking a boat.

2. ["Moontrance"] This is with the envelope turned almost all the way down, creates a rhythmic percussive-sounding effect, really cool with that particular rhythmic setting, nice backbeat to it. The envelope starts to come up slowly after the 3-minute mark if you wanna hear what that sounds like.

3. ["Slowly Decomposing"] A much more playful bass line, this was improvised live along with the guitar part (theremin was overdubbed later). This is a good example of the awesome rhythmic stability the bass MuRF can provide, especially in place of a drummer.

4. ["In the Cellar"]( This is just an 8-bar phrase looped through the whole piece, which was used as atmospheric music in the cellar scenes in my band's re-release of George Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Settings are almost identical to #3 (same rhythmic filter and envelope level), just slightly faster and it sounds like the "Drive" knob was turned up a little bit higher.

5. ["Another One for the Fire"] This one's a bit different- the rhythmic filter isn't engaged, I'm simply using the "Drive" knob to add a the tiniest amount of overdrive/distortion. This was an "accidental" take after we'd recorded something else but kept the tape rolling... I listened back a few days later and love what happened to the bass tone. I like to joke that this is an example of "responsible use of bass distortion". This setting sounds really cool with the Pog (Octave up), but I'm afraid I don't have any recordings of that handy.

The entire albums (as well as the film for which some of those tracks served as the soundtrack) can be downloaded for free here and here in your choice of lossy or lossless format. That's all I've got for now, what else is out there? :hyper:

2. lebrett

lebrett

Mar 14, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    MuRFs?

3. Grimoire

Grimoire

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    Excellent stuff, great use of the MuRF, really like your band too.

I've had a midi-MuRF for a couple of years, and never really used it that much - it's my least used Moog piece, but probably the most unique. The only recording I have done with it is the noise section at the end of this track - it's the frog sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVIm5byWUUk

4. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Cool track, what other Moog pieces do you use? It definitely took me a while to figure out how to apply the MuRF... for most of the above tracks it just happened that our drummer wasn't around on the day we recorded and I didn't feel like slapping rhythm... we tracked some drums to each of those after the fact, but decided they all worked better without.

5. Grimoire

Grimoire

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    Drummers...a waste of space. Using the pattern editor to create 'percussion' loops is something I have experimented with with the MuRF, good fun.

The main Moogerfooger I use for bass is the Freqbox, it was my first, and still my favourite. Took a while to tame it, but it's surprisingly musical in the right context. I have the LPF, but I don't use it anymore, no need since I acquired a Voyager and T3.

edit: Just noticed your location, you're not associated with moog are you?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Awesome thread, and great tracks. I had a Bass Murf when they came out, and foolishly sold it shortly thereafter. Never even gave it a chance. But I do dig these tracks, and analog synth gear in general. I play more kb synth than bass these days.

7. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Not in any official capacity, though I've done work with the Bob Moog Foundation on several occasions, and will be doing sound design using an array of equipment on loan from Moog Music for a steam-punk adaptation of Shakespeare's "Hamlet" this spring. The guitarist/thereminist in the above recordings worked at the Moog factory for several years while Bob was still in charge... his pedalboard is pretty ridiculous, tons of Moogerfoogers that he built himself.

8. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Just curious if I could use a pitchfactor and a time line to create a similar sound as funkcicle's silver machine clips?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021