1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bass of Navarone

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by saved, Sep 30, 2018.

1. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    Well..its not the most comfortsble bass to play with,but its not to dificult to play with it.
    The main reason for this scale length is,a guitar is 25.5", if we add 5 frets it becomes 34" (as every comon bass) so,if we add 5 more frets,it becomes 45.4".
    This way,the .110 E string,becomes .110 B string.
    More flexible and sounding clearer than a .125 B string

2. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    Its passive electronics because i like the simple wiring and of the extra tiny control cavity.
    BUT,if i could go active, @Passinwind preamp would be my first choise

Passinwind likes this.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Aww, thanks Dimitris. I'm working on smaller ones all the time... Or_wink.gif

I'm pretty used to playing 42" scale basses, I'll bet I could catch on to yours fairly readily. Really cool to see it come together so nicely in any case!

ptensioned, Jim Carr and mbelue like this.
  4. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Pretty cool! Now you can get started on the 5 and 6 string versions.:thumbsup:

5. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Good Lord, what sort of demigod plays this beast? :bassist:

6. Just for visual perspective, it would be cool to see a selfie with it strapped on :bassist:

GentProvocateur likes this.
  7. papasteack

papasteack

Oct 11, 2012
    I used the same kind of gig but found having not parrellel guides for router was not easy to deal with. I finished the twist by hand.
    Here were i am actually.
    (Not ready to post my own thread since i work on it only few time. Lot of unusual stuff on it to say...later ! )
    IMG_20181001_094251.jpg

8. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    Torzal build are tricky.Everything you do,you have to check it from all the sides.There is no flat surface

9. Beast? If you manage to route the neck, the nut and place the bridge in such a way as to get a constant or linearly variable action on each string it would almost be a miracle IMO ...

five7 likes this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I had a Mighty Mite neck that, over time, became a Torzal twisted neck - without paying for that feature, I got to try the concept. Almost unnoticeable at first, then more, then more - it got pretty twisted and was still quite playable, until...eventually, it wasn't. Replaced it with a Warmoth neck, which a few years later, is still incredibly boring in its unwavering straightness, which I guess is really what you want from a neck.

11. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    AMAZING!

12. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    agreed. Also, out of curiosity, how tall are you?

13. Looks like a RACE CAR!! :bassist:

14. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    The action is higher than common basses,but thats because of tge scale length because longer strings need more space to vibrate,but still is in aceptable level.Anybody that wants extreme low action,should play guitar.Not bass.
    I have to messure myhigh since i was 16 years old.I was 1.93

15. Fender05

Fender05

Oct 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Maybe I'm a bit out of the loop...why/what's the advantage or reasoning behind the twisted neck?

Either way, this bass is stunning

16. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Gorgeous!

17. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    Twisted neck will not harm the wrist pf the hand.I made this bass with twisted neck for two reasons.
    First,to be more easy to play with this scale length
    Second,to try something new and improve my building skills

18. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    If you ever go on a very long journey, come home dressed as a beggar. If you find that in your absence other men tried to get your wife, you should have a contest where any man who can play that bass for 12 bars gets her. :D

That’s a stunning instrument! How did you determine pickup locations? They seem unique, relative to scale length...

Clifford Lee and jackn1202 like this.
  19. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    The pickups are near the fretboard to get a more aggressive sound.
    Here is two frequency charts with analysis of open B and open E strings to see the harmonic content
    2dvrdi9.jpg 255sy3a.jpg

And some pics with me (not selfies)
    1p75gn.jpg 2nsrm0l.jpg

Rôckhewer, JLY, ixlramp and 7 others like this.
  20. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Could you provide more information and/or pics about the bridge tuning system?