The Bass Player appeals to Women

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Avalon82, Jul 6, 2019.

1. yes

90 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. no

85 vote(s)
    48.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avalon82

Avalon82

Jul 6, 2019
    Upper Midwest
    My main bass is a Mexican Made Fender P Bass - Maple neck
    Has anyone experienced something like this? A woman told me once that she typically has always noticed bass players in bands because they seem confident, relaxed, physical, sure of themselves, and agile (plucking fingers...)

True story.

2. I’ve had women approach & start conversations with me after playing on stage. Many love my Seafoam Green bass. I’ve had more compliments from that than all my other basses combined.

My Danelectro Longhorn in Daddy-O Yellow received plenty of compliments after its first gig recently.

3. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Well, my wife didn't marry a flute player!

4. Avalon82

Avalon82

Jul 6, 2019
    Upper Midwest
    My main bass is a Mexican Made Fender P Bass - Maple neck
    Groove Doctor that is sharp color. Is that a P BASS? Do you have that traditional guard on it? Very 50s

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Mine either.:thumbsup:

Joedog and Wisebass like this.
  6. Yep. Old P Bass with original celluloid (top sheet) PG. Body refin nitro Seafoam. Some ladies come up and touch it and try to talk to me mid song. Alcohol is normally involved. :wacky:
    IMG_6177.JPG

A bit of history about Tort....
    Is Your Pick or Pickguard Real Tortoiseshell?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    MYLOWFREQ, MCF, TinIndian and 6 others like this.
  7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Wifey loves groove!

8. Is this some sort of cruel hoax?

9. Gordo350

Gordo350

Sep 20, 2018
    FB_IMG_1536781811153.jpg

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Definitely not. As soon as I step off the stage, people suddenly forget I was ever up there.

11. Kerplunk

Kerplunk

Sep 29, 2015
    Yes. I have. I noticed that woman at one of our gigs. She said the same thing to me about the bass player in the band that was currently playing. I'm going to follow that band and try to join them if he ever leaves.

12. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    Definitely works for me. Don’t know if it would with any other instrument though.

I certainly enjoy defeating the meme that bass players are watching the guitarist and singer get all the girls.

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Women have always hit on me when i play out, which is a conundrum with me being so homely. I’m just thankful wifey and I trust each other enough it’s not an issue.

14. Love your avatar pic!!

15. When I was in my 20s and gigging two, three, four times a week, I got more than my share of interested young women. As I got older, I noticed that trend waned. Then I got married and the trend stopped completely, but I stopped noticing.

16. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Of course. From personal experience.

17. If you care about what one random woman told you about one show, just because you liked what she said... best to keep it and enjoy it: if you ask here you may learn the truth and not like it. ;)

Now more seriously... I don't think you can generalise. Some care. Some don't. Some are in awe of drummers. Most don't care much what instrument you play. Some seem to get excited to talk to anyone who is on a stage with bright lights, most know better than that and are there just to enjoy the show... I always found hilarious the notion that a certain proportions of musicians have about being 'heroes' on stage and having the admiration of women. I let them believe that. It's true that I met my girlfriend because she saw my band, became a fan, and came to all of our local shows... eventually got talking and here we are. But that only happened because she was a bass player herself and she came to ask me something about a song she was learning of ours that didn't sound the same live as on the record (I play a different bassline live now)...

Enjoy the music, have fun, people like to see a band that are having fun not looking miserable or full of themselves... and just behave like a normal human being, be humble, be kind, be generous. You'll then be more attractive and fun to be around, regardless what instrument you play and even without playing one. Don't go on stage trying to impress women, it's a sure way to look like a d**k.

fhm555, Methaneman, Engle and 5 others like this.
  18. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi Avalon82 :)

That' s what they say. :D

But the truth is,

they love us because we have the biggest carrots! ;):laugh:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

19. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I always thought the stereotype/joke went like this:
    -lead singer get the creepy stalker girls
    -guitarist get the promiscuous girls
    -drummer gets the hottest girls
    -bass player gets forgotten

However, my more flattering take on it is that the bass player gets the intelligent and/or quirky girls.

(At least that's how I felt when I was in gigging/touring bands from 2010- 2015. I tended to attract "quirk nerd" type girls, which is awesome since that's what I like).

20. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Well, my bass playing never got me anywhere with the ladies... but my wife and I both married bass players so... yeah. She loves watchin me play and I love watchin her play.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.